I'm curious of your opinion...

ashli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
users.livejournal.com
As I mentioned in my first post (in the intoduction section) I have just finished up a photojournalism class. I tried to take more of an artistic approach to many of my assignments and this just happens to be one of my favorite pics that I've taken. What do you guys think?

uploadphoto2.jpg

Film used - Illford CX2 B&W
Camera used - Canon EOS K2
Shutter Speed - 8ish
Apature - 4
Use of tripod - No
Edits made to photo in PS - Tones and Curves

The setting is in an Amish home. I had many of my own ethical concerns that I forced myself to deal with, but they allowed me into their home, fully knowing that I was taking pictures. Of course I wasn't allowed to take any pictures of them, and I had their permission to take pictures of anything else.

I have more pictures from the set that I may post later.

From a PJ point of view, what does this picture say? To me, I get that they're pretty tidy people with some ornaments, but what's the story you're supposed to be telling or supporting with this picture?

Rob

It is nicely done, and thanks for telling us where it was taken, since I was wondering why it reads "Heilige Schrift" on that Bible (which is German), but I would wish I coulds see the entire ornament on that upper shelf there, and I would have wanted that closet door closed.
As a still life, depicting part of an Amish house, I understand this photo, but not quite so well in connection with photo journalism... Could you maybe explain some more?

I tend to aggree with LaFoto... A slightly more inclusive crop might have made it perfect. Great shot though.

BTW...The partially open dorr really helps the composition...nice touch.

The assignment was to show "people without people." I was having a really hard time shooting this set of pictures (I will post the rest later) because there were no lights. There was also a snowstorm going on outside and the glare from that was HORRIBLE. As for the the object at the top, I find it particularly interesting because it was a wedding gift. If I had zoomed in on just that, you would have seen both of the names and the date of marriage.

Rob said:
From a PJ point of view, what does this picture say?

It's supposed to show that they are very simple people. I noticed that you are from England (which I adore, btw), but I've never seen the inside of houses over there. In the "normal" houses that I have seen, things tend to be cluttered and the such. Pretty much the exact opposite of an Amish house. I'll post more of the set to show you guys what is going on in the rest of the house. In the class, for most of our assignments, we were allowed to turn in a max of 3 pics. This is why most of my assignments were kinda more like photostories. :heart:

ashli said:
The assignment was to show "people without people." I was having a really hard time shooting this set of pictures (I will post the rest later) because there were no lights. There was also a snowstorm going on outside and the glare from that was HORRIBLE. As for the the object at the top, I find it particularly interesting because it was a wedding gift. If I had zoomed in on just that, you would have seen both of the names and the date of marriage.

People without people...

Sounds like an awesome project! You've done a great job with this picture.

MightyLeeMoon said:
People without people...

Sounds like an awesome project! You've done a great job with this picture.

Thanks! It's actually a really good exercise. You really can tell a lot about a person in their surroundings. Try it sometime. :) If you do, I'd be interested in seeing the outcome. :heart:

hmmmmmmmmmmm. A little stingy on the crop me thinks. The top object should be fully visible and as Lafoto says, the door should be shut.

I don't find the pic very interesting. But that's just me. Personally, i am going off still lifes (unless they are VERY interesting) and tend to take photos of people.

Most reactions

Back