I'm gonna do it.

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I plan to use my speedlite for a photo session. Usually this goes against my strong love of natural light, but I'm going to see what happens. I used to shoot with OCF every single time I would shoot, then a little over a year ago I had everything stolen from me and had to start over with just a camera, lens and reflector. Having to start from this point gave me a new appreciation for all natural light that I didn't have before and I kind of left the OCF stuff behind. When I replaced one of my speedlites I found myself only using it in situations where the extra light was absolutely necessary. Perhaps I can dig up my old love for OCF and it will begin a beautiful romance between natural and artificial light. :lol:

When I replaced one of my speedlites I found myself only using it in situations where the extra light was absolutely necessary.

Which is honestly the only time one should ever need to modify the light present for the shot - with the addition that its "absolutely necessary for the creative vision that I wish to create" or something to that effect. In short pre-visualise as much as you can and adjust the light with what you have and can to get as close to that vision as you possibly can (and if its impossible change the vision and be creative).

That said from my own experiences getting used to offcamera lighting is often directly proportional to the equipment one has - when its a flash and cable its fiddly for many things - when you've boom arms; light stands, modifiers, wireless remotes, flash brackets etc.... the usefulness and the ability to use the light efficiently and well increases the desire and ability to use the flash as well as the convenience

Most reactions

New Topics

Back