I'm just curious...

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What makes you decide to not comment on a C/C thread? Do you open it, look at the pictures and see nothing wrong? Do you open it and not find the pictures interesting? No time? For me sometimes it's not so much as I don't see anything wrong, but I don't know the correct way to fix it, so I'll come back to it later hoping someone who knows has posted.

Like I said, I'm curious. :)

What makes you decide to not comment on a C/C thread? Do you open it, look at the pictures and see nothing wrong? Do you open it and not find the pictures interesting? No time? For me sometimes it's not so much as I don't see anything wrong, but I don't know the correct way to fix it, so I'll come back to it later hoping someone who knows has posted.

I am taking c/c to mean critique and comment.

I will not comment for several reasons

1) When I think that the request for c/c is just a disguise for really wanting to show off what they consider a great photo. This is often substantiated when someone does suggest a deficiency and the original poster replies with some sort of "are you crazy blah blah" That is proof to me that they were just trying to show off what they think is great.

2) When very similar to 1) the person owns very expensive equipment and wants the world to know it. They post a relatively nice photo and then list the pedigree of all the equipment that went into getting the photo. As if knowing the name of the mega dollar tripod somehow is necessary for the critique.

3) The photo was posted by a bored person just trying to generate some interaction to pass the time.

BUT if I perceive that a beginner is genuinely struggling to grasp some concepts then I will critique. Or if an advanced person is seeking alternative crop ideas for example that the poster had not thought of previously. Things like that will cause me to offer a critique.

It really depends.. There are a few people that post here that I won't comment on because I think that thier skill is beyond any input I could give... Others its because the subject matter does not interest me... Others it just because I really don't have anything constructive to add...

My C&C is only meant to show a different point of view or what I think (emphasis on I) could improve the shot. If I don't feel like my C&C will do either of these... I will not comment.

I have seen some pictures from people that are just so bad and they post so many that I just can't pick wich ones to talk about. And they will be so bad that all I have is bad to say so I just keep my mouth shut.

I do look and have commented but have stopped commenting. I am only an amateur and truly believe a great picture for you may not necessarily be a great photo. That great picture may not be great a few months down the road once you've gained more experience and knowledge. I also feel that people comment on things and may not exactly know what they are talking about ... that includes me as well! :lol:

I only offer critique when I feel I really know that I can help and that is not often as there are many that can do it better than me. I comment on ones that I am really interested in or really stand out to me.

I think people that say what kinda of gear they use is helpful as its just more info telling how they made the photo. Gear matters sometimes.

I like reading what settings people use because it helps me think about what settings I'M using. :)

I am taking c/c to mean critique and comment.

I will not comment for several reasons

1) When I think that the request for c/c is just a disguise for really wanting to show off what they consider a great photo. This is often substantiated when someone does suggest a deficiency and the original poster replies with some sort of "are you crazy blah blah" That is proof to me that they were just trying to show off what they think is great.

2) When very similar to 1) the person owns very expensive equipment and wants the world to know it. They post a relatively nice photo and then list the pedigree of all the equipment that went into getting the photo. As if knowing the name of the mega dollar tripod somehow is necessary for the critique.

3) The photo was posted by a bored person just trying to generate some interaction to pass the time.

BUT if I perceive that a beginner is genuinely struggling to grasp some concepts then I will critique. Or if an advanced person is seeking alternative crop ideas for example that the poster had not thought of previously. Things like that will cause me to offer a critique.

On #2 I am guilty, but every single time I fail to insert what equipment was used I get asked what lens I used to shoot. For some of us that are asked all the time, it's sometimes easier to put it into the original post than have to answer later.

For me, some photos are just not good at all and I don't feel like wasting my time c&c'ing every thread when people are too lazy to read and research on what goes into making an appealing photograph through means such as books like Understanding Exposure or through tutriouls on the web...those type of people that don't put the effort in themselves won't get the effort back from me.

I also don't c&c the ones that are excellent....because usually they already have 2-3 pages worth of comments and me making another "excellent" comment seems redundant.

I have seen some pictures from people that are just so bad and they post so many that I just can't pick wich ones to talk about. And they will be so bad that all I have is bad to say so I just keep my mouth shut.

Oh? Like the time you told someone their image was "lame"? :roll:

I don't comment as much as I used to. Too many times people get mad at criticism.

I don't comment on subjects that don't interest me, mainly.

Kids with dirty faces, pets, boring flowers, cars, soda cans.

I don't comment on images that are bad, but are PP'd to death to try to save them.

The turnover here is also too great, so I wait and see who sticks around and how they develop.

I will comment when I see real potential in an image that appears to have some thought behind it.

Bitter, I'd love your critique! It's possible that I could be awesome (eventually) too!

Bitter, I'd love your critique! It's possible that I could be awesome (eventually) too!

Yeah...kids with dirty faces. :p

But I look anyway, and one day...

I also don't have as much time as I used too, working 12 hours a day, typically 7 days a week.

LOL! Yes, my kids are horribly easy to get dirty and they're PALE like mommy so it shoes really easily!

I usually do not comment because I have no idea what the @#$%^ I'm talking about! lol I do open almost every thread though, and look at the pictures.

I considered opening this thread..looking at the replies.. and then just closing it without commenting.....;)

But seriously.. It isn't so much about why I "don't" comment on pictures.. I don't think to myself "I have nothing to say about that" and move on. I just open threads when I have the time, and if a picture really jumps out at me, I comment. Or if it's a poster I have known/followed a bit and I see growth and potential, I always try to say something if I have time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back