I'm ready for a flash

Your gonna get what you pay for .For long term usability go with nikon ,Save up a little more and get the SB-910.

Last edited:
I just purchased a yn.. and I love it! Granted It is new.. but I think if you are on a budget then you might like it to start with. I don't think you will have a problem I used mine up to right above 300 without any sync issues. I didn't have the money for the better brands.. That is the main reason I got this because I need one now. Mine is straight manual.. it is pretty easy to get used to actually!

The point is this: Yongnuo flashes break down. A LOT. All the freaking time. For example, from Amazon, today, we have this gem:

“As a matter of fact, this flash is just so good that I wonder why anyone would bother paying so much more to get a Canon branded flash. ”Ganesh G | 15 reviewers made a similar statement

“
This is a very good product and well made. ”Chakimage | 24 reviewers made a similar statement

“
It won't zoom, the pilot button lights up but when you press it the flash doesn't fire, and the FN and MODE buttons are unresponsive. ”J. Foust | 21 reviewers made a similar statement

If you get a Yongnuo flash that works--good for you!!! Buuuuut, if you get one that is DOA, or quits working, well...you know that you have just lost in the Cheap Chinese Knock-off Flash Lottery.I love the Amazon reviews, filled with newbies with their first-ever flash unit, excitedly writing a review of it on-line after their first 25 pictures.

15 good reviews, and 24 good reviews and then TWENTY-ONE (21) reviewers with defective Yongnuo flashes. Now THAT's Yongnuo Quality!!! Why did Buckster not show THAT kind of full disclosure?
Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon: Camera & Photo

Buckster's disingenuous cannard above is amusing. He seems to be a real Yongnuo fanboy. He has a couple units that work--and so he seems to love to tell people they are great, problem-free units, but that's not true. Yongnuo is known for sketchy quality and insanely bad warranty fulfilment.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You're correct Derrel. Because Buckster has an opposing view with just as many good points as you, he's obviously just a fanboy.

You can have Yongnuo test your flash before it ships to make sure everything works correctly.

I have a Yongnuo 568 and it's given me zero problems.

I can also put my hand up for having no issues with my Yongnuo flash. Granted it is only a couple of weeks old. But it's performed how I want (/expect) it to each and every time. I got the YN 560, so fully manual as well. I'm definitely not saying they're better than Nikon's... But for me it was the difference between a cheap flash, or no flash... And I am so happy I went with a cheap flash.

Fanboys are the people who shout down ALL reports of problems and issues with products they happen to own. Fanboys are the ones who ignore ANY and ALL issues that are widely reported in the media or on the internet. Fanboys are the kind of people who say that "there are no problems" with all types of products. So, yes, when a person repeatedly goes out of his way to "prove" that something he owns and likes has "no problems"...he's...a fanboy. A brand loyalist. A zealot.

Hey..I am NOT denying that many people are happy with their Yongnuo flashes. Some of them work. Some of them even last a year, or more. But--there is also a very sizeable segment of buyers who have had problems with the Yongnuo flash units. David Hobby, of Strobist, will not reccommend ANY Yongnuo flashes. NONE of them. He emphasizes in his Twitter feed that the reliability issue with the brand is terrible.

It's pretty easy to see that while, yes, many are happy with Yongnuo flash units--there are multiple areas where customers are left disappointed. If a person can NOT admit that--then he's a fanboy, pure and simple. Owning one, or even two "working examples" from a brand that has perhaps a 15 to 22 percent failure rate (??? I mean, after one year) is not a convincing argument.

Fanboys are the people who shout down ALL reports of problems and issues with products they happen to own. Fanboys are the ones who ignore ANY and ALL issues that are widely reported in the media or on the internet. Fanboys are the kind of people who say that "there are no problems" with all types of products. So, yes, when a person repeatedly goes out of his way to "prove" that something he owns and likes has "no problems"...he's...a fanboy. A brand loyalist. A zealot.

Hey..I am NOT denying that many people are happy with their Yongnuo flashes. Some of them work. Some of them even last a year, or more. But--there is also a very sizeable segment of buyers who have had problems with the Yongnuo flash units. David Hobby, of Strobist, will not reccommend ANY Yongnuo flashes. NONE of them. He emphasizes in his Twitter feed that the reliability issue with the brand is terrible.

It's pretty easy to see that while, yes, many are happy with Yongnuo flash units--there are multiple areas where customers are left disappointed. If a person can NOT admit that--then he's a fanboy, pure and simple. Owning one, or even two "working examples" from a brand that has perhaps a 15 to 22 percent failure rate (??? I mean, after one year) is not a convincing argument.
Where do you get the numbers you toss around, like "15 to 22 percent failure rate"? Show the data source that concludes with those numbers.

"Some of them work. Some of them even last a year, or more."

You make it sound like it's a rarity, even though we're getting the exact opposite reports from actual users.

Hobby's tweeted about this, what, 4 times in 3 years? You act like he tweets about it all the time. Have you seen how many people in the Strobist group use them? Have you noted how few problems are reported by them?

There are literally scores of YN users here on the forums, but where are they reporting bad experiences with the gear? The forum should be rife with them. By your accounts there should be far more dissatisfied YN users right here in our midst than the satisfied ones, so where are they?

This crusade you're on to crap all over the YN brand, despite the actual evidence and reports from actual users is unbelievably over the top. I just don't get it.

A poll, from 2009 to 2012

Poll: Yongnuo Reliability - Page 2 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Please note, I used the phrase (perhaps 15 to 22 percent".

Here's an excerpt, "
"So far the poll is showing that the overall failure rate is 18%. 14% failure rate on all Yongnuo Flashes excluding the 565EX and a 25% failure rate on just the 565EX."

and then it got better! "

Originally Posted by Bob_A
The best thread/poll I've seen regarding Yongnuo flashes to date. So far it looks like the failure rate is pretty horrible, 3 out of 21 for the 565EX (14%) and 4 out of 41 for all others (10%). The number being reported as DOA also seems really high.

Nothing wrong with buying these inexpensive flash guns as long as you know the risks and don't mind the possible hassle of having to make a return or two.

A poll, from 2009 to 2012

Poll: Yongnuo Reliability - Page 2 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Please note, I used the phrase (perhaps 15 to 22 percent".

Here's an excerpt, "
"So far the poll is showing that the overall failure rate is 18%. 14% failure rate on all Yongnuo Flashes excluding the 565EX and a 25% failure rate on just the 565EX."

and then it got better! "
How do you get 15-22% out of that poll? Do those numbers add up to 100%? Do you know how basic math works?

Do you think there's anything to the fact that it's a poll about non-Canon gear on the Canon Fanboi Forums?

By the way, I can go to Amazon's review section and show you failure rates just as high for Apple gear based on anecdotal stories too. Are you going to start kicking the crap out of the Apple brand over it?

Dude...let me make one thing clear...my own, personal estimate was 15 to 22 percent. You asked for stats to back up an estimate, so I spent 3 minutes looking for some...

At the time the posts were made in that poll, those were the figures on failure rate: 18%, and then on the 565 or whatever, approaching 25% on that single model of Yongnuo flash.

Random users from a mostly-Canon forum, weighing in on actual dead Yongnuo flashes they had bought. Why do you insult me with such ad-hominem attacks as to question my math skills? The results, at the time, were correct; since that time, the results may have changed.

And second, I actually value my reputation. Let me make this clear: I will never unresevedly reccommend what I consider to be unreliable junk merchandise in on-line forums like TPF.

You, on the other hand, are free to suggest that people buy what it is that you like.

Dude...let me make one thing clear...my own, personal estimate was 15 to 22 percent.
So in other words, you're just making this stuff up as you go along. You're just pulling numbers out of your butt.

WTF, man?

You asked for stats to back up an estimate, so I spent 3 minutes looking for some...
Because you didn't have any to begin with when you made your post about it. You just made it up, and THEN went looking for something to try to support it AFTER you got called out on it.

How low are you gonna stoop, dude?

Today, on Amazon's user reviews for Canon, there were 15 positives, 24 positives, then 21 negatives with defective flash units. What's the percentage on that?

Earlier, after having read that, I gave a figure. I wrote: "perhaps 15 to 22 percent" failure rate. That was my own personal estimate, based on the research I have been doing on the Yongnuo flash reliability issue. You did not call me out...you demanded data...and when the data revealed that Yongnuo flashes have a serious reliability issue, the fanboy in you went ballistic and ad hominem on me. Hilarious!

Here's a funny one: THIS is Youngnuo's Hong Kong distributorship, photographed earlier this year:

index.php

Ok now this is going nowhere :roll: it's just personal attacks now from both sides.

People are going to buy what they're going to buy. End of story.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back