im so excited!!!

well, we stopped by the humane society and came home with Benji :D .. he's 4 1/2 months (terrier mix) and a ball of fire :lol: ... these are all the pics i could get of him cause he wouldnt stay still, so i had to turn on the flash (camera flash :? ) ... he's got lots of toys and just christianed the house with his poop :D

benji.jpg

benji2.jpg

benji3.jpg

Oh, he looks GREAT! :D I'll bet he's leading you guys on a merry chase right this second! Hurry up with some more pics when things calm down a little.... :wink:

New puppies.....oh, it's so much fun! Congrats on the new family member!

Dew said:
i was reading about different kinds of dogs and breeds, the advice said to go with a mixed breed, cause a pure breed has more potential for psycological and physical problems ... i dunno why

I'm no geneticist Dew so I can't explain any specifics, but it come down to genetics and inbreeding. Mutts always have strong genes, because any recessive genes always give way to the dominant genes. A lot of problems (mental and physical) are caused by recessive genes. If you breed the same dogs there’s a good chance that traits caused by recessive genes will start to show.

Anyway I'm glad you guys found a dog. He's cute. :lol:

Congratulations Dew and Doxx!! He's so cute! You're making me want to get a doggy now, but I know I need to wait until next spring or summer like I've planned. Have fun with your new furry friend! :love:

he's great, we're in the process of training him now, so most likely no pictures for a few weeks ... he's still a pup and uses the bathroom a few times a day ... we're learning his schedule, although the last few times he let us know he had to poop and we took him out with sucess (yeh benji) ... with a little consistancy... he'll be ok :wink:

he's been locked in a cage for 1 1/2 months so its going to take about a week for him to calm down and get used to the fact that his cage days are over ...

he plays well with other dogs and he's not agressive which is good

a friend of mine had a couple of dogs who were trained to go over to this little bell on the floor (like the kind you see sometimes at reception desks or something that you tap on to get someone's attention) and hit it with their paw when they needed to go outside. it was so cool! :)

last night he slept well on his blanket and didnt take a poop or pee on the floor :cheer: ... this morning i took him out and he made it to the next floor and peed in the hallway (guess he couldnt make it) ... about one street down he pooped in his favorite spot ... so now he's learning that pooping in the house is not ok ... i just cant beleive he held it the whole night :shock:

Congrat's Dew :D He's very cute. I have three cats although I've always had dogs. My last dog "Gino" was a chocolate/tan Dobermann and he meant the world to me. He died in 1995 :cry: I too have said that I would only get any future pets from resue centres. All three cats of mine are rescue cats.
Remember. There are no bad dogs. Just bad dog owners

yeh, we know that u have to have patience with a small pup just like a kid, we both have that ... we dont get angry when he poops or pees on the floor ... duh .. that's what pups do ... they gotta learn ... plus we have hardwood floors so clean-up is a breeze.

surprisingly, the adoption fees were only $80 here in NYC

he's lovable and adorable ... he can sit now on command :lol: ... comes in handy for putting on his leash and for visits to the vet.. but he can only sit for about 5 seconds :lol: ... im teaching him to sit a little longer.. in about 2 weeks or so, we're gonna introduce "Stay" to him.

one of us is always home (im a house-wife :p ) so training can be more consistent ... but we dont want him to have seperation anxiety in the future, so we're gonna get him a playpen so he can learn to entertain himself for short periods of time ... does anyone have any advice on this? ... and what do u think of those "silent" dog whistles?

Yay for Dew! Congrats to getting a puppy. Now, you do know we all expect mucho picture galleries eh???

I say (although it may be expensive tooooo... :I) get a Daschound (sp?)!! They are ubber great...or if you want a large dog, a golden retriever is great too :D

Dew said:
... and what do u think of those "silent" dog whistles?
tried one of those with Gino. Don't think he ever heard the darn thing :D
I found the "clicker" a good one, especially when they are young. "click" whenever he does something good and reward him. He'll come to understand that whenever he's good/ obedient etc he'll get praised/ rewarded. Doesn't work with all dogs but you need to be patient and stick with it. It was fun trying.

eg. "sit" dog sits = "click" =treat
or something like that.

Woot, that is soo cool Dew.

You have to be so excited. lots of good pic opportunities that’s for sure.

Congrates on the new addition :thumbsup:

Congratulations Dew and well done!
That's a cute dog so you win all around, enjoy!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back