What's new

I'm soon to be 4/3's the man I use to be

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
13,607
Reaction score
1,937
Location
State of Confusion
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just clicked the order at Adorama.

Olympus PEN EP3.

Olympus PEN E-P3 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review


After my recent trip to Africa, a business conference last week and upcoming trip the the NC mountains on the BRP, plus family event, street photography and just wanting to go small, I've decided to have a go with the 4/3 format. Not quite APS-C sensor, but much larger than a P&S, with the added feature of interchangeable lenses.

They're still not shipping yet, but as soon as it arrives, I'll post some opinions.

I drive an EP3 ('02 Honda Civic Si), why not shoot with one as well :lol:


.
IT FINALLY ARRIVED TODAY..... 8-26-11!!!


i-F59FQM5-XL.jpg
​
 
Last edited:
Congrats!

Please let me know (good or bad) how the E-P3 works for yah... As you already know, I'm interested in AF improvements over mine.
 
Very interested in this as well - I'd like to have a range-finder "equivalent" in my kit again.
 
I'll add that I'm still very interested as well! *no I didn't get the funds to move to m4/3rds sadly*
 
Oh man, your PM (usayit) was inspirational and quite influential in my decision. And another thanks for the mu43 link.

I was on the fence of which lens to get, the 14-42mm or the 17mm, but after reading an article on the 17mm being less than superlative, I went with the 14-42mm, even though I really don't like variable aperture zooms. It should be a decent introduction into the system.

I'm all giddy at the moment.
 
Glad I could provide some input!

Yeh the 17mm was not the most well received of lenses but still a decent performer. Its main issue is the faster and well recieved panasonic 20mm f/1.7. The samples from the 20mm are very tempting. The 14-42mm will be a good intro into the systems as with any good quality medium zoom. Remember the key to the system is keeping the packaging small.... this means that fast zooms which tends to be complex, heavy, and large, may take a while to develope and bring to market. What they are bringing to market are some really nice fast primes coupled with some very good, compact zooms. The 100-300mm for example, is about the size of those tall cans of beer. Thats a 600mm equiv in an extremely small package. Then there is the 45mm panny leica macro and the recent olympus 12mm f/2. If you dont mind manual focus, voigtlander has the 25mm f0.95 nokton which is m43 noctilux of sorts. The system is growing..... and most of the glass is not that expensive.

This chart will give you a birds eye of the current offerings in terms of glass.
Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Chart(Lenses)

First thing you will realize is that the shooters experience will be a bit different that shooting with a dslr. Its more laid back... kinda like shooting with a PS but with the ability to be in a more photographer's mindset. Its actualy quite fun once you learn the systems limits.

here is my kit... all fit into an optech accessories bag. A 9-18mm, 14-42mm, 45-200mm, and 14mm prime with room for a spare battery and the EVF attachment. As you can see, its quite compact for a 4 lens with accessories kit.

397178536.jpg


Just finished my family vacation with it... simply enough that even my 4 year old shot with it (iAuto).

Oh and more than half the time, the camera has an adapted lens from my collection of m42 and LTM lenses... which a whole different experience alltogether. Ron here actually uses his system 100% of the time with adapted lenses.

As mentioned, AF is where this system doesn't compete well (especially when coming from a 1d mark II). For still subjects, its image quality is pretty darn good.. For fast moving subjects like birds in flight, its a challenge. Still more responsive than P&Ss but not quite there.. yet. Here's my one many many attempts to work within the limits of the system.


P8181227 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

For still subjects, its quite competitive...


P6260434 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

Both of the above where shot on the Olympus E-PL1 (in body IS off) with the Panasonic 45-200mm (in lens IS on).

Cheers....
 
Last edited:
For making popular sized prints the 4/3rds sensor aspect ratio has a lot going for it. It's to bad it's so small, though.

I was thinking of the 2x crop factor and the associated reduction in DOF potential from a smaller sensor.
 
Last edited:
I'd love to hear about it and see some shots when you've played with it for a while. I've always been fond of smaller cameras for walking around and travel. Hey I drive a Civic, nothing wrong with that :lol: I call it my go-cart.
 
It's to bad it's so small, though.
That was kinda the whole point for me, to get smaller. However to that end, my reason for choosing the E-P3. It's the larger of the 3 models that have been (or will soon be) introduced. Initially, I was considering the light E-PL2, but after thinking about it more, I really didn't want something that small and the mini E-PM1 just wouldn't cut it at all for me. It like having some heft in my hands. That's why I have to smile every time I go to the toilet. :biggrin: Although it was more $$$ than I wanted to lay out, seeing the advances the new E-P3 has over the previous models was a decision maker.



For those not familiar with the micro 4/3 cameras, here's a few videos you may find interesting.











Whenever it arrives (due sometime this month), I'll post some photos and give my impressions of the camera.


Hey I drive a Civic, nothing wrong with that :lol: I call it my go-cart.
Yes, but do you drive the 3-door hot hatch i-VTEC DOHC Si version?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My dip into 4/3rds over a year ago. And left this old fart going back to dslr. Went to a G1 with the 17mm and 14-42 zoom.

Actually 4/3rds I would highly recommend for special situations or as a second system.
I went back to dslr for a few critical for me priorities. Which may or may not be important to you.

1) EVF or LCD composing or framing is mediocre EVF at best and near impossible with LCD only in sunlight. At least for these old eyes. G1 has the EVF I found barely acceptable being spoiled on Optical viewfinders.
2) Iso handling is great at 400 iso and below with acceptable maybe 800 for some. But that was over a year ago and now sensors may be better at higher iso?
3) Less choices for lenses and wanting to go wide is a expensive affair.
4) Don't mind manual work then with adapters can use many great manual lenses out there.
5) Yep lose of Detail & Dynamic range makes for a good light camera only. Tho still can get interesting night shots.


Heading Home,Kick Back for some Tunes by Orbmiser, on Flickr
Using the 20mm f1.7 at 160 iso and 1/25th handheld.

at 800iso


Past Loves by Orbmiser, on Flickr

And still can achieve some interesting photography


Sun Glow Branch by Orbmiser, on Flickr

To be fair I only gave it 30 days of tryouts and loved a lot of things about it. But in the end decided to go back to my nikons. As couldn't afford to maintain 2 different systems. Tho if I could then 4/3rds would be a great way to go.
.
 
Great shots Orb, thanks for sharing.

The Oly will be an addition only. I'm still keeping the D300 & D700.
 
Good to hear adding to kit then replacing! As I was having grip problems with my hands and thought going smaller and lighter would solve my problem. Turns out that Arthritis had set in and with medical treatments and exercise became well enough to once again to handle a dslr.

Tho had to sell all my good lenses for medical bills like my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D two-ring and my Sigma 10-20,70-300vr,35 and 50mm f1.8's.

Now struggling back with limited income and have my D90 & D200 with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8,55-200vr and 70-300vr so far. Hope to add an ultra-wide like the Siggy 10-20 and a couple of primes like the 35mm f1.8G and the Tamron 90mm macro to my kit.
.
 
Good to hear adding to kit then replacing! As I was having grip problems with my hands and thought going smaller and lighter would solve my problem. Turns out that Arthritis had set in and with medical treatments and exercise became well enough to once again to handle a dslr.
We may need to take this to PM. I have arthritis in my spine, both hands and now migrated to my right elbow. I'm actually working today, albeit at a leasurely pace, and have to leave in a couple of hours, but am interested with your treatments and excercise program.


haha no, LX. I could never get the spawn in and out of a 2 door. You win!
Although I had some expensive engine repairs last year, I'm still sold on Honda. Anybody that drives a dependable and economical car wins. I can just get there faster while turning a few more heads. :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom