I'm still deciding on what camera to get.

artreuo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, my birthday is coming up. I have been gathering money, and I'm selling my Xbox 360. So my budget will be up to 700$ about. I would like to find the cheapest kit I can though. I'm really looking in to the Nikon D70s with the Nikon 18-70mm AF-S Nikkor 3.5 - 4.5 G lens. Is this a good setup? I'm somewhat new to photography, but I would like to get a very nice camera that will last me a while and be a good camera after I learn all the basics. Also, I'm looking into a Nikon D50 Refurbished kit on ebay. I know it's a very good camera kit.

Which camera should I buy? Or, if you have any other suggestions, please list them. I'm really aiming for a Nikon though.

The D70 is an EXCELLENT first camera... a better choice then a d40 or d60 IMO.

You don't need to spend the extra $ on an AF-S lens, as the d70 has an internal focus motor.... you may be able to get a better lens for the same $$ without af-s.

It's a toss up between a d50 and d70... they have identical picture quality, but the d70 is a bit bigger and has more external functions, like a dedicated aperture AND shutter controls which makes it MUCH easier to shoot in manual--the d50, on the other hand, has a larger lcd screen.

A nikon d70 goes for about $350 on ebay... which leaves you enough to buy a good lens..... for example instead of that cheapo kit lens you mentioned... you may consider a sigma 18-50mm f2.8... I just sold one of those on ebay in "new" condition for $290.

Which would be a better choice? The D70 or D70s. And what's the difference between the two?

Most reactions

Back