I'm STUCK!

cdele21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not happy with where I'm at with my photography, but don't know how to move forward. Any suggestions on subjects to study up on and practice? I would love lots of critiques on these photos. Here are some senior photos I took for my sister-in-law.

Thank you for your help.

dsc000.jpg
dsc001.jpg
dsc002.jpg
dsc003.jpg
dsc004.jpg
dsc005.jpg
dsc006.jpg

Attachments

• dsc007.jpg
    dsc007.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 150
  • dsc008.jpg
    dsc008.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 129
Why do you think there is much wrong with this pictures ? This are very happy snapshots, a memories for the rest of your/her life. Practicing by shooting a lot will not really help you. Shooting this pictures, did you imagine, they will look different ? If so, how ? Did you tried to do something, to get there ?

What is it that you are unhappy with? Posing etc? The only way to get better is practice with more practice! I've heard it takes a minimum of 800 hours to master a craft. How often are you shooting?

It's really difficult to answer you because we have no idea what or how much you know.
Photography has a lot of concepts that may be new to you and vocabulary that describes those concepts.

How much do you know?
How much actual editing have you done?
How do you use your camera?

Give us a hint where you are.

And stop shooting at 1.8.
The depth of field is so shallow that too little will be in focus.

Once you do some of the things The Traveler mentions, see if you can then get your sister in law to continue to model for you while you practice. She is great in front of the camera. Love her smile and eyes and vibe.

First four shots, her face color is off. Learn editing.

What is it that you are unhappy with? Posing etc? The only way to get better is practice with more practice! I've heard it takes a minimum of 800 hours to master a craft. How often are you shooting?

I am not UNhappy with them, I just feel as though professional quality is lacking, and it fursturates me to not know how to get to that. I guess practice may be the difference. I use my camera every day...but I don't get out to do shoots more than a few times a month. Thank you for your advice. Maybe I'm just impatient :)

I am not UNhappy with them, I just feel as though professional quality is lacking, and it fursturates me to not know how to get to that. I guess practice may be the difference. I use my camera every day...but I don't get out to do shoots more than a few times a month. Thank you for your advice. Maybe I'm just impatient :)
I`m impatient too...so I feel yah. My favorite is the brick wall...but I love Urban portraits. Here is my version of the bench shot. Maybe just play with your editing a little ? I warmed this one up and played with the colors a little....tried to remove some of the grey from her face.

Attachments

• My Version-1.jpg
    My Version-1.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 121
My bad...no clue how to add the file properly.

It's really difficult to answer you because we have no idea what or how much you know.
Photography has a lot of concepts that may be new to you and vocabulary that describes those concepts.

How much do you know?

I'll try to give you an idea where I'm at. Haha, it's hard to define exactly.
I shoot with a Nikon D5000, with a 55mm 1.8, which is all I can afford at the time being. I shoot on manual. I'm very comfortable with the essentials of photography.... shutter speed, apeture, ISO, WB, composition rules, I'm working on learning more about getting good focus right now. I understand natural lighting pretty well. Not at all good with flash or indoor. So level wise I'd say..... working my way through intermediate??? But I feel like I've been in the exact same stage for a LONG time.I haven't seen improvement in my work for ages. I don't know if it's just the practice that's lacking, or what. I was hoping my pictures would tell something I couldn't see.

Thanks for the tip on 1.8...I could definitely be more flexible on aperture. I guess I'm still getting used to adjusting everything as quickly as I need to so I tend to stay were I'll have the light if I need it and just change shutter speed. Guess that part comes with the 800 hours of practice eh? :)

I`m impatient too...so I feel yah. My favorite is the brick wall...but I love Urban portraits. Here is my version of the bench shot. Maybe just play with your editing a little ? I warmed this one up and played with the colors a little....tried to remove some of the grey from her face.

What is your best tip for getting skin tones correct? I always have such trouble with that.

First four shots, her face color is off. Learn editing.
Best resources to learn GOOD editing from? I watch youtube videos for things I don't know how to do, but anywhere you know of to get a good, comprehensive, more-than-the-basics education?

How much do you know?

And I forgot to answer your question.....as far as what editing has been done, not a lot. I fiddled with the levels a bit, and tried to correct skin tones without a ton of luck.

What is missing is that final bit of framing and editing.
In the first few, besides the white balance being off, the light on her face will obscure a lot of detail and is uneven.
The framing isn't optimum, her face is close to the edge yet the frame is half hair
3 & 4 are cut off at the ankles but there is lots of space above.

The last, brick wall close to skin color, striped shirt, bulky green skarf - too too too much.
Pick one or two and post those for detailed comments (and please number your pictures)

What is your best tip for getting skin tones correct? I always have such trouble with that.
Tough call because everyone has their own style. Some people like the cool skin tones and some like them warm. I chose warm for that photo to give it a fall glow. I did the edit in Lightroom which also has a handy little white balance tool....it's pretty good most of the time. What are you using to edit your photos?

Most reactions

Back