KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the last 3 days I have been trying to solve an issue I'm having on my computer.

When I go to Wikipedia.org the splash page shows up right away.
Once i type in the topic I want to research and hit enter it shows "connecting" in the lower left of my display and I get a "This site can't be reached" screen saying en.wikipedia.org took too long to respond.

That's not all.
On Amazon.com everything is OK until I try to watch a Prime movie.
Again I see "connecting" in the lower left of my display, that goes away ,and nothing more happens.

Next I try to get to my email, click on Sign in, see "connecting" in the lower left of my display and I get a "This site can't be reached" screen saying login.live.com took too long to respond.

WGT.com (World Golf Tour) shows "connecting", loads but looks like this:
WGT.png
and though I tried to, won't let me log in.

I'm not using a proxy server so it can't be proxy settings.
I don't think it's my firewall, because this only seems to be happening to these web sites.
I've run my anti-virus and anti-malware applications - both gave a clean bill of health

I've reset my browser setting to it's defaults.
I've verified the DNS servers I had been using haven't change (Comodo Secure DNS Servers).

I'm out of things to check and hoping a TPF member might be able to help.

Try running TDDSKiller first.
it tends to break viruses/trojans though may not pick them up itself.

Then I would run housecall.trendmicro.com and adwcleaner, spybot. Then I'd go from there for other stuff for cleaning.

Check your Settings and search engines, and also check your installed apps to see if there's something there that you don't recognized.

It's the Russians.

Check your Settings and search engines, and also check your installed apps to see if there's something there that you don't recognized.
Thank you gentelmen & lady.

Did those too and will check out the other stuff.
I regularly clean my Registry (couple times per week) and all my system and browser caches using CCleaner - several times a day. I like to keep my computer squeaky clean.

I use Chrome for several years now and don't suspect Chrome is part of the issue.

Geez. I even disabled my anti-virus software and ran Windows Defender.

Edit: housecall.trendmicro.com downloading.

My Comodo Secure DNS servers are flagging both other recommendations - TDDSKiller & adwcleaner download sites as unsafe.
Both Kaspersky and TrendMicro gave my computer bills of health.

Last edited:
Don't worry, The Donald just had Genisys downloaded to everyone's devices ...

spybot works in SAFE mode w/network too, which you'll probably want to run some of them in that mode.

If you check your User Folder/AppData/
then check Local, LocalRow & Roaming folders by date you can usually pick up things that shouldn't be there. Then look them up to find how to fix them.

TaskMgr can also help you identify rouge app using resources. I've always run TDDSKiller *first* as I've found it breaks stuff which allows other antivirus to then find them.

Last edited:
Is the firmware on your router current? I had a similar issue a few weeks back after Mirai hit the World. I backed up the data from my router and made a clean factory reset with the current firmware. Plus I refreshed Windows 10 Pro/64 without uninstalling my Apps. My Firewall and Antivirus found nothing, yet all behaviour spoke infection of Network stack. The combination of both resets did the trick for me.

I don't use a router. I'm connected directly to a cable modem.

Wikipedia was working correctly this morning, though I made no changes to my computer between the last time last night I check to see it was still hosed and this morning.

Edit: I can now (about noon) also access my email. WTF is/was going on?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back