Image border

Here is one. Doesn't make sense.

3188.jpg

I know it looks funny....yahoo photos...

Yes, I had to magnify it and measure it to be convinced though (I'm quite anal too :D ).

It looks like you've applied the border then resized the image with bicubic resampling - this would have an effect on the symmetry of the border. Try resizing first and then apply the border.

Also, make sure that your border is divisable by 2 else you may end up with a 1 pixel difference.

Ok, I don't get it. Maybe it's because i'm using an older version, but here's what happens:
When I change the canvas size to 5x5 pixels, it actually reduces the picture to 5x5 pixels... and I don't even have the "relative" checkbox...
What should I do????

Ok, sorry, I just got it! All I had to do was to add 5 pixels to the actual canvas size. Though I can't create a frame with different colors, but i can always do it by selecting areas on the frame and then changing the color.
Thanks Meysha!!! :hug::

Thanks Marctwo!

And actually, after some 8 attempts, I CAN create a frame with different colors in it with Meysha's technique! Meysha, you're awesome!!!
:hail: :hail: :hail:

Using the "Canvas" technique is by far the easiest and most popular way and very excellent results can be had. Here are some examples of other alternative frames. The "break left" frame is simply adding your image as a layer on a new image decidedly bigger then the original image size that is filled with whie as a backgrond color. Then using blending options for the 3d effect. The third jet flying off the image is a whole nother technique.
The Amish farmer frame is a series of layers also done with blending options to achieve the shadowing and bevel to give the frame aspects and image a 3d recessed effect.
brakleft.jpg

Farmer.jpg

Great tutorial Meysha! I have something to add... instead of doing that whole process on every pic, make a border for a pic, then delete the layer the pic is on and save it as a .psd as a template.

Meysha, or anyone else, how do I crop pics to a set resolution? I always get wacky resolutions when I crop...

Just put the dimensions in the cropping toolbar at the top of the window. Eg:
- width: 600 px
- height: 400 px
- dpi: 72
This will crop the image then resize to the given dimensions automatically. If you're going large with the image though, I'd do it in seperate stages and use a progressive sizing technique.

I've read through all the posts with interest since I've sold several shots and always use a border/frame. However I've noticed that none of the methods mention retain the full size image and create new layers. I think adding a frame on a new layer(s) is vital. I've found that if my image is similar to the colour of the frame then the frame "bleeds" into the image. It means that once the frame is made in a contrasting colour it cannot be changed to colour similar to any colour in the photo at the edge.

If the frame is made in different layers then the layers can be altered to any colour without fear of bleeding into the image. it takes longer but is much more flexible. The final result must be saved as a tiff or some other format that doesn't "flatten" the image or the layers will be lost and you're back to square one. The original version of the attached image is a tiff with 6 layers allowing me to easily change the colour of the text and frame with a couple of clicks and no fear of bleeding colours.

CalStDRP.jpg

Dave - I'm really interested to know how you made the frame for the Amish Farmer - it looks excellent.

So if anyone has an action or a shortcut for making a frame using new layers i'd be interested to hear how you did it.

darich said:
Dave - I'm really interested to know how you made the frame for the Amish Farmer - it looks excellent.
busy with the holidays, but will come with a tut soon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back