Image has pink sunbursts: Why?

danieledwardfowler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The attached picture was taken with a Nikon D3300 using a AIS 300mm f4.5 lens in manual mode. When the light reflects just right, it creates pink sunbursts. I would like to avoid this. Any advice on why this is happening and what I can do to avoid it? You can see the sunbursts around the turtles eye as well as on the stick in front of him.

This only happens with this lens. It doesnt have a filter on it.

Attachments

• turtle.jpg
    turtle.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 209
Do you use LR to post process? If so, have you tried to use the CA removal?

Others may be able to better explain this and help you to avoid this in camera.

On my 300/4 AF lens I get purple fringe once in a while.
I've learned to just increase the shutter speed and it all disappears.
You may want to try a faster shutter speed and see if it disappears.

Do you use LR to post process? If so, have you tried to use the CA removal?

Others may be able to better explain this and help you to avoid this in camera.

I do use LR and I tried removing CA, but it doesnt eliminate this...

Looks like axial CA to me. The specular highights in the background have a green halo.

480sparky said:
Looks like axial CA to me. The specular highights in the background have a green halo.

dennybeall said:
Beginners' Forum !! CA, LR ?????

Yeah, I think it is axial chromatic aberration as well. As can be seen in the OP's example photo of the turtle, in front of the plane of focus there is that magenta/purple-ish fringing to the highlights, and BEHIND the plane of focus are the green fringes...this is the hallmark of axial chromatic aberration, also called axial color, axial CA, or longitudinal chromatic aberration, or longitudinal CA; it's so common it has multiple aliases, like a career criminal! the CA shows up as "purple in front, green in the back". Some lenses have this as a real signature: Canon's 85mm f/1.2-L is a prime example of purple in front, green in the back. A LOT of lenses do this!

A LOT of older lenses, especially telephotos, show axial color pretty strongly on scenes like this, with pinpoint, brilliant highlights on water, or on water that has a rippled surface. I've read on Bjorn Rorslett's site in multiple lens reviews that the various internal, rear-focusing teles often tend to suffer from CA more so than other lens types. I think the 300mm f/4.5 ED~IF is among the rear-element, internal focusing lenses. I'm pretty sure it is rear-element focusing, and I know it's internal focusing (I have one I picked up cheaply).

As mentioned, I have it strongly with my 300/4 AF. I'm pretty sure it's rear element/internal focusing too.
When i started testing it on aircraft I had purple w.green edges fringing galor ... the aircraft looked more like space ships. I increased shutter speed and viola it was gone.

I think I got it. Messed with the chromatic abortion eye dropper settings in Lightroom and got rid of it, for the most part. Im happy.

Attachments

• DSC_0008-2.jpg
    DSC_0008-2.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 170
face of turtle wasnt in focus. focus plane between face and shell in water.

As mentioned, I have it strongly with my 300/4 AF. I'm pretty sure it's rear element/internal focusing too.
When i started testing it on aircraft I had purple w.green edges fringing galor ... the aircraft looked more like space ships. I increased shutter speed and viola it was gone.

I used to get it pretty bad with my 85 mm 1.8 when shooting at lower apertures, I had to stop down the lens or increase the shutter speed to avoid it - which of course wasn't that useful since I was shooting mostly in very bad lighting conditions where I needed the lens to be closer to wide open.

Oddly enough though I rarely if ever see it with the 50mm 1.8 even shooting wide open.

Most reactions

Back