Image Sharing

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not really all that happy with Fickr anymore, looking at alternatives. Has anyone used Adobe Portfolio. It's already included in the subscription so doesn't make sense to pay for the same service again on another site. Feedback please, good, bad?????

Not really all that happy with Fickr anymore, looking at alternatives. Has anyone used Adobe Portfolio. It's already included in the subscription so doesn't make sense to pay for the same service again on another site. Feedback please, good, bad?????

I set up an Adobe portfolio page a couple of years ago. Setup was pretty simple but it's more geared towards having a small portfolio for professionals than a site to show a wide variety of images.

Setup was simple, but it's quite constrained with layout options. Ok if you want a standard, quickly set up portfolio, though I think it's more geared towards showcasing individual projects than photographers with a wide ranging portfolio. I'm looking at either squarespace or smugmug now myself.

@weepete the other requirement is to be able to drag and drop in LR. I think you can do that with Smugmug using a plugin, but I don't know about Squarespace.

For the purposes of this forum I've dropped Flickr and host from my PC. I refuse to pay subs as a keen amateur I don't feel the need to pay. I've an old version of LR which doesn't recognise newer RAW files but I get round that with dng conversion.

So a bit of an old thread, but better than starting a new one.

Flickr is now around £50 a year to subscribe for a pro account; without it you're limited to something like 1K photos total on a free account. Which sounds like a lot, but over the years it adds up fast and its a hassle having to prune and keep up to date with it. I've also come to feel that the cost is quite a lot for what I feel isn't really a better service than I've had in the past for much less, plus the social side of flickr is very dead these days (heck its dead everywhere that isn't facebook but that's another gripe).

So I've started looking around. 500pics likes to boast about it being a more "elite" style of photo site, but free accounts there are limited to only 7 uploads a week; basic paid is £35 which is a lot less than flickr and unlocks unlimited uploads. Mostly the higher paid tier is more geared to someone working and selling their work.

DeviantArt is more geared to general creative art, but from what I can tell hasn't got any uploading limits. There appear to be storage limits, but they are pretty high. From what I can tell it might be the best free option right now.

Anyone else got any thoughts? Considering how we all have to use some digital storage online I'm sure we must have a few more ideas

Deviant Art
de89m9p-57f43b18-fc02-46bd-8b05-70541e4be26e.jpg

Flickr:
50176376538_e607b50c9e_o.jpg

If I open both in new tabs and switch between I think flickr is applying a tiny tiny bit of sharpening

@Overread Google gives you 15GB free, or you can get up to 2TB for $100/year. I use the free version for file sharing occasionally. Microsoft gives you up to a 1TB One Drive included with a 365 subscription. Their Azure Cloud storage costs about $.81/month/TB. With so many sites starting to limit you from direct sharing from Lightroom it's almost forcing you into using Adobe Cloud. They give you 20GB free with the subscription.

Zenfolio looks like it might be a good option Photography Portfolio Websites - Showcase & Sell Your Photos Jeffery Friedl did offer a free plugin for Lr.

As to uploading an image vs linking to offsite image storage, most of the social media sites crush an image to some degree. FB is horrible but I wouldn't be surprised if Flickr isn't compressing them as well

I'm reasonably sure flickr and deviant art aren't compressing in a bad way if they are compressing at all. Their whole purpose is image hosting and display so if they were compressing their target market would be up in arms about it. Facebook gets away with it because its not their target market, their bulk target market is people sharing happy snaps and memes of kittens and puppies and such. So compression there is fine.

Also for me I like to have a gallery front to things not just a storage spot. I don't want the bother of running my own site and such so having a pre-made gallery feature works well when I want to show my work in a general sense to someone; whilst also having the option to embed photos into sites to share direct with distinct communities and such.

Also for me I like to have a gallery front to things not just a storage spot.

If all you want is a gallery Wordpress.com is another choice. I'm seriously considering Zenfolio.

I use onedrive for personal security when sharing photos I don't want publically released, but it looks like social media platforms might be the best way to go with a physical backup of the files. They allow you to reach a wider audience. I managed to build hundreds of followers of the course of a few months by utalyzing Facebook.

Other than that, try making a portfolio website? I've been considering Neocities.org in an attempt to differentiate and aesthetic reasons.

Most reactions

Back