Image Size

KatyLee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I have a quick question about image size. I shoot with a 50D but when I am in photoshop my pictures are coming up huge. What am i doing wrong? What size should I resize them to? I'm super lost in the image size world! PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

Katy

It's probably just the viewing size that's the issue, not the actual photo size.

Try going to "View" in PS and select "Fit to Screen" or zoom out/in until it's an appropriate size for whatever it is you're trying to do.

KatyLee, don't view them at 100% size. 50D creates 4752 x 3168 photos and when you view them on your monitor (let's say you have full hd 1920x1080), you can't be surprised they appear to be large. Do what Malone suggests -zoom out.
OR, you need to resize them to size, which can fit to your LCD/IPS screen. But have in mind, that when you resize them to lower size and ditch the original image, you won't be able to print them in larger print sizes.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Katy.

Yes, the photos from the 50D probably are huge...4752 x 3168 pixels. That is a lot of pixels, considering that a typical monitor resolution might be 1200x1000 give or take.

But if you want to print those photo, you may want/need up to 300 pixels per inch of print. So with your file size, that is just over a 15" print. That's big...but not huge. Not to mention that the image will loose pixels if you crop it etc.

So while the image is huge on a screen, there is a reason it's that big.

In Photoshop, you can change the magnification (zoom) of the display. If you tried to view your images at 100%, they would be much larger than the screen...but if you zoom out to 25%, it might fit just fine.

Now, keep in mind that this doesn't actually change the 'Image size'. You can re-size the image (change the number of pixels) to make it bigger or smaller for your intended use. So if you want to upload your photos for viewing on the web, then you will want to resize them (save a copy) to a size that will fit on people's monitors at 100%.

Hi! I have a quick question about image size. I shoot with a 50D but when I am in photoshop my pictures are coming up huge. What am i doing wrong? What size should I resize them to? I'm super lost in the image size world! PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

Katy
YO! Hey chicky... I am also armed with a 50D and I have the same problem when viewing them.. Simply select "Magnifying glass" tool and "right click" the image and select "fit on screen"... Now if you wanna save the image to a smaller resolution just do the following: IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE>UNCHECK "resample image">Change "resolution" from 72 pixels/inch to 300 pixels/inch>CHECK back "resample image"> and change the Width - Height to the desired size....
Well thats what I do.... Hope that brings some sunshine to your dark day your world of photography!

KatyLee, don't view them at 100% size. 50D creates 4752 x 3168 photos and when you view them on your monitor (let's say you have full hd 1920x1080), you can't be surprised they appear to be large. Do what Malone suggests -zoom out.
OR, you need to resize them to size, which can fit to your LCD/IPS screen. But have in mind, that when you resize them to lower size and ditch the original image, you won't be able to print them in larger print sizes.

I giggle when I see people say Full HD 1920x1080. It is amazing to me how people get brainwashed by new "catch words" I mean I guess if the "new definition" of full HD is a measly 1920x1080 then that would be it. I just remember YEARS ago having monitors with much higher resolution, but then again they were not called "HD" monitors back then. That is not a dig at you. Or anyone really. Just funny to me how when something "catches on" like the term HD that the manufacturers can downgrade the resolution and now all of a sudden it is new and fresh and better than the true higher resolution monitors of last year. :lmao:

johnh2005, it's all about marketing :) At the moment the term "full hd" is just a name for a certain resolution which several companies have agreed on. Nothing more, nothing less. They wouldn't sell those LCDs if they had a label "low resolution" on it :D

Big Mike said:
Welcome to the forum Katy.

Yes, the photos from the 50D probably are huge...4752 x 3168 pixels. That is a lot of pixels, considering that a typical monitor resolution might be 1200x1000 give or take.

But if you want to print those photo, you may want/need up to 300 pixels per inch of print. So with your file size, that is just over a 15" print. That's big...but not huge. Not to mention that the image will loose pixels if you crop it etc.

So while the image is huge on a screen, there is a reason it's that big.

In Photoshop, you can change the magnification (zoom) of the display. If you tried to view your images at 100%, they would be much larger than the screen...but if you zoom out to 25%, it might fit just fine.

Now, keep in mind that this doesn't actually change the 'Image size'. You can re-size the image (change the number of pixels) to make it bigger or smaller for your intended use. So if you want to upload your photos for viewing on the web, then you will want to resize them (save a copy) to a size that will fit on people's monitors at 100%.

Mike: thanks for the welcome!!! I just feared my pics won't print correctly! :/ i know how to make the image smaller and bigger in PS but I guess I'm lost on how to resize an image for a client to be able to print properly.....

Like say I took pics and gave them a cd of all the prints. What size should I make all the images? Is there a standard?

Thanks to everyone for helping!!! :)

ryan_caldero said:
YO! Hey chicky... I am also armed with a 50D and I have the same problem when viewing them.. Simply select "Magnifying glass" tool and "right click" the image and select "fit on screen"... Now if you wanna save the image to a smaller resolution just do the following: IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE>UNCHECK "resample image">Change "resolution" from 72 pixels/inch to 300 pixels/inch>CHECK back "resample image"> and change the Width - Height to the desired size....
Well thats what I do.... Hope that brings some sunshine to your dark day your world of photography!

Yippee for 50D's!!! :) so what's the standard size you would make all images for a client?

Thank u!

Are you putting it on a CD for proofs or for printing?

When I do that, and I rarely do I just leave it the size that it already is :)

MissCream said:
When I do that, and I rarely do I just leave it the size that it already is :)

Okie doke! Thank you! :) one more question...the cropping thing is stressing me out! So, when I crop something I loose pixels, right? What do I do about cropping an image?

What would you want to do about croppping?
If you don't like certain portions of your photo, you crop them out (or you want to repair some composition problems). You can't do that without loosing those pixels you cropped out. More you crop, the smaller the print size OR the worse quality of the print. But it all depends on what do you intent to use those photos for. It is different story when you use them just for some internet gallery and different when you want to print them in big size.
That's why I have suggested, that you should keep original files in case you ever need those "missing" pixels again.

Last edited:
Forgive me but isn't this something you should know already if you have clients?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back