Image stabilization

Winona

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know it is turned off when using a tripod. How about a monopod? How about if the camera is resting on a car door or branch? I’m thinking in some situations the camera might not be perfectly stable. Thanks.

Interesting your image stabilization turns of when you attach a tripod. With my Panasonic I have to do it manually. Perhaps there is a sensor at the tripod attachment point?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The image stabilization system is looking for movement.
A tripod properly set up kills the movement.
A monopod, is a steady rest more than anything else but breathing, natural muscle tremors and other factors including wind will cause camera shake.
The IS will work better with a monopod.

having tried this myself several times, I can attest to its use.

It does work on a monopod.

I’m thinking in some situations the camera might not be perfectly stable.
You might be right. It seems to me that if the camera was supported by only one or two points that it could rock a bit, imparting motion. The best stability is three points, which surprisingly is often better than four points. A monopod can rock every which way but up and down. If your tree branch can touch the camera in only two places, try to devise some way to insert another support point somehow. Matchbook, fold of camera strap, etc.

I have read that a VR lens assumes there will be motion, so as soon as the shutter button is 1/2 way down it goes into action (although some of my lenses have a setting where VR only activates as the shutter is tripped). So, if you are looking through your viewfinder (finger off the shutter button) and the image is rock solid and you don't anticipate shake, turn VR off. If you are seeing the typical movement in the viewfinder, then turn it on. It is very difficult to hold a camera steady on a monopod as on a tripod so I would leave it on. It's easy to test, so try it and draw your own conclusion.

Most people believe that image stabilization systems should not be used at high shutter speeds, meaning speeds of1/ 500 second or faster.so imagine that you have the camera mounted to a monopod,but have the shutter set to 1/1000 of a second-- in this case you should not use image stabilization, but let's imagine you are shooting at 20 minutes before the sun goes down and your shutter speed is merely 1/100 of a second- personally I think it would be good to use the image stabilization at that slow shutter speed.

Last edited:
If you can’t take a tri or mono pod try using a bean bag. Fits in the pocket and can be shaped to how you want... I have even bought a bag of dry rice in the past and used that to hold the camera steady....

You should consult your lens Manuel regarding image stabilization, which is a Canon company term. Nikon calls their system VR,which stands for vibration reduction;The Tamron company calls their system VC for vibration control.

For quite some time the Canon company has offered image stabilization that does work on the tripod, but the same has not been true from the Nikon company. So perhaps you should consult your actual lens instruction manual, to make sure that you were accurate in your assumption that when the Lens is used and mounted on the tripod, that image stabilization should not be used

If I have any camera movement, I use IS/VR.
As has been mentioned, a monopod only provides vertical stability. But as I have experienced, a monopod will still move L/R and F/B, so IS is still needed.

One thing that seems to be often overlooked is that IS/VR is more than just the shot.
It is also the setup to shoot.
Example, I shoot sports, and I am at 1/500+, so in theory I do not need IS to freeze the image.
But, what I do NEED IS/VR for, is to AIM the camera and HOLD it on the subject.
Without IS/VR, the subject is wobbling around in the viewfinder. This makes it hard/very hard to hold the center AF point on the subject. The IS/VR stabilizes the image, so holding the AF point on the subject is much easier.​

I know it is turned off when using a tripod. How about a monopod? How about if the camera is resting on a car door or branch? I’m thinking in some situations the camera might not be perfectly stable. Thanks.

on a tripod I leave 'IS' image stabilization off, - monopods and everything else it stays on
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Thanks for everyone’s replies. Stapo49-I do have to turn it on and off manual. I have a mixture of Canon and a Tamron. They just say if on a tripod then turn off stabilization. I will leave on for everything else for now with the exception of a very stable surface Thanks.

Turn IS/VR off when using a tripod or camera is on a stable support like a table. In any other case where movement might occur, turn it on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back