Image Stabilizer?

Forget the IS for now. Become experienced with the best quality long lens you can get by learning to control how you hold the camera (and lens) for maximum stability, how you move to follow action, how you squeeze rather than punch the button, etc. In other words, all the basics most of us had to learn back before IS lenses and bodies existed.

Oh, and one reminder - if you're shooting off a tripod with an IS or VR lens - never, never, never have IS feature turned on.

A student of mine came to me this week with shots he'd taken with his Canon XT and his brand new Canon 100-400 IS. The shots he'd taken from the deck of a ship in Alaska were great, and the IS worked perfectly.
But when he got home to Florida he went out to a local marsh to take some pix of wading birds. And, you guessed it, he used a tripod. But he didn't know to turn the IS OFF!
Every shot was blurred ... because the IS feature was still cycling through it's paces, trying to do it's job. And since there was no unsteady hand to compensate for, it was at war with the tripod.

Forget the IS for now. Become experienced with the best quality long lens you can get by learning to control how you hold the camera (and lens) for maximum stability, how you move to follow action, how you squeeze rather than punch the button, etc. In other words, all the basics most of us had to learn back before IS lenses and bodies existed.

Oh, and one reminder - if you're shooting off a tripod with an IS or VR lens - never, never, never have IS feature turned on.

A student of mine came to me this week with shots he'd taken with his Canon XT and his brand new Canon 100-400 IS. The shots he'd taken from the deck of a ship in Alaska were great, and the IS worked perfectly.
But when he got home to Florida he went out to a local marsh to take some pix of wading birds. And, you guessed it, he used a tripod. But he didn't know to turn the IS OFF!
Every shot was blurred ... because the IS feature was still cycling through it's paces, trying to do it's job. And since there was no unsteady hand to compensate for, it was at war with the tripod.

Thanks so much for the info! I didn't have any idea you couldn't use it on a tripod!

I went ahead and got one without IS, really just for the reason you stated. I figured people have been taking pictures for a long time WITHOUT IS, and I would rather learn how just take good shots on my own rather then relying on IS all the time.

Eventually I will upgrade my camera and lenses, but for now I am happy with having the basics. They might not be top of the line, but Im just beginning and I dont think I need, or have the knowledge yet, to get top of the line products yet. :)

Thanks again!

Sandspur is correct, however, I believe the second generation Canon IS does infact allow the use of a tripod when it's on.

Yes, I've heard that the newer IS lenses will detect when they are still (on a tripod) and disable the IS.

Also...while it may not be an issue for most shooters...heavy use can wear out the IS. A busy wedding photographer that I know, has worn out the IS on one (or maybe two) 17-55mm F2.8 IS lenses. Now, he only turns IS on when shooting at shutter speeds that would require it.

Gadzooks! I had no idea an IS mechanism would wear out so easily.

Thanks for that heads-up, Mike... Now I KNOW I'll never buy one.

Just call me an ol fuddy-duddy. And I'm the kind of guy who could REALLY use one sometimes ... simply because a 65 year old hand doesn't hold ANYTHING as steadily as it used to.

Hell, I even spill my beer down my chin now and then. But after about three, my hand's steady as a rock! Only problem then is that all I want to do is take a nap.

See what all you younguns have to look forward to?

Gadzooks! I had no idea an IS mechanism would wear out so easily.

Thanks for that heads-up, Mike... Now I KNOW I'll never buy one.

Just call me an ol fuddy-duddy. And I'm the kind of guy who could REALLY use one sometimes ... simply because a 65 year old hand doesn't hold ANYTHING as steadily as it used to.

Hell, I even spill my beer down my chin now and then. But after about three, my hand's steady as a rock! Only problem then is that all I want to do is take a nap.

See what all you younguns have to look forward to?

Been there done that! :lmao:

Earliest known version of Image Stabilization:

taltripod2da78b79cs2.jpg

Be it wood, metal or composite material it will work better than in lens or in body stabilization and EVERY lens and or body you own will have IS if you use it.

Don't get me wrong, IS has it's place, but nothing beats good ol'e fashion photographic skills. One of them is knowing when to use a basic piece of equipment that any photographer should have.

Just a different take on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, IS has it's place, but nothing beats good ol'e fashion photographic skills.

Here, here.

I upgraded from the Nikon 80-200 AF-D to the 70-200 AF-S VR, and find that I use the VR about 20% of the time. I find that the main thing VR helps with is catching those few extra shots that used to get away.
So, was it worth the extra money.....for me, yes. While I don't use it that often, having it there when I did need it is a blessing.

Would I recommend it to a "hobbyist"...not really, not for the extra expense (and weight). The AF-D I had took pictures nearly as sharp, but the use of a quality tripod is essential.

I just bought a 70-200 f/2.8 L lens with IS. I haven't played with it at all except for a couple of test shots in my home. This is what IS will do for you in a pinch. This shot was taken hand held at 1/4 sec.

70-200 hand held at 1-4 sec-0049.jpg

While I don't recommend that anyone make a practice of hand holding slow shutter speed shots, when you need it, it's a nice feature to have.

I just bought the Nikon 18-200 VR. Experimented with it last night. First time I ever had a twenty-pound lens on a camera!

The IS really works well on that lens. In a moving car, I take pictures with FAR less blur with it on than off, especially when it is set to the higher level.

The ultimate walk around lens.

... oh, if you think that is heavy, try slapping on the Nikkor 70-200 VR lens. I hope you have strong arms, because after an hour or 2 of using it (usually around the 100 picture mark... lol), you will be working to lift it up.

The IS really works well on that lens. In a moving car, I take pictures with FAR less blur with it on than off, especially when it is set to the higher level.

The ultimate walk around lens.

... oh, if you think that is heavy, try slapping on the Nikkor 70-200 VR lens. I hope you have strong arms, because after an hour or 2 of using it (usually around the 100 picture mark... lol), you will be working to lift it up.

Definitely it's my "walk around" all-purpose lens. Played a bit more. Nothing worth saving, just want to know what it can do. For any one specific situation, I can easily think of another lens in my collection that will do a better job but for versatility, this can't be beat.

For any one specific situation, I can easily think of another lens in my collection that will do a better job but for versatility, this can't be beat.
That is the exact and best reason to own one.

For those times where you do not want to extract the last minute bit of quality from the shot becuase it is not needed, but when you are in a situation that demands versatility and you are not really in the mood to swap lenses 100 times a day... this lens just rocks between 50-150mm and though quality drops some as you push the edges on either end, it still puts out more than acceptable pictures. 90% of my Florida vacation pics were taken with this lens and I am very happy with the results.

I have it built into my body and it is worth it.

Lucky you! I wish something like that was built into my body as well! Then I would have IS with every camera i use, every gun I shoot, anything. Great! :)

Was the surgery painful?

Most reactions

Back