image submission requirement for photo contest

runner2541

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't think of a better way to toss $30 into a hole than enter the 2013 Black and White Spider Awards, and I have a question that I hoping someone will be kind enough to answer.

The contest image submission requirements are:
Grayscale or RGB mode
72 ppi
jpeg at max quality
1024 pixels longest side

My original image is a 13.2 MB jpeg, 72 ppi and 2,375 pixels longest side. When I convert the image to the contest requirement of 1024 pixels longest, the file size drops to 841 KB and the image doesn't look nearly as good as the original.

My questions then are:
1. Am I doing something wrong?
2. If not, how do the judges evaluate photos that aren't at their best quality? Apparently this is a prestigious contest in its 8th year so I assume they know to some extent what they're doing.
3. Should I just spend the 30 bucks on lottery tickets instead?

Thank you.

Interesting that they specify 72 ppi and 1024 pixels long axis, if they're going to give you an absolute resolution then why bother with the ppi? it means nothing without specifying dimensions as well anyway.

Seems pretty low resolution they specify, maybe this submission is this for some sort of elimination stage when they don't want big files.

PPI is only meaningful when a print is being made. 1024 pixels / 72 pixels per inch = 14 inches (the pixels cancel).
The trouble is few images will look good as a print at only 72 ppi.

So where do they get 72 ppi? For a long time 72 ppi was considered the standard resolution of computer displays.
However, it's been a while since that was true. Most computer displays today have a higher resolution than 72 ppi.

Since your original has apparently had 72 ppi assigned to it by the camera software, I would guess you use a Canon camera.

Many photo contests have absurd submission guidelines.

...Many photo contests have absurd submission guidelines.
QFT! In addition, any contest which has an entrance fee always makes me suspicious... two words: "Grab" and "rights". I'll let you put them in the correct order.

Many photo contests have absurd submission guidelines.

Agreed - though most of the time its simply a result of the people making the guidelines not really having much of a clue and most likely just copying the same guidelines as another competition or the ones that they've used for the last decade.

The rights grab issue is also prevalent - you'll want to check the terms and conditions for entry. Often as not when you get to copyright sections you'll find that they will have you agree that by entering you are giving them an unlimited worldwide unrestricted licence to use the photo. This basically means that entering the competition gives them your photo, they can print it, sell it on t-shirts, sell it on stock - they can do whatever they want with it. So not only do they get your entry fee, but they also get your photo and you get a tiny chance of winning a small amount of money (compared to the amount they save by not paying for photo use rights).

Now of course they might be a good company and only reserve rights for display for the competition or have a more restricted rights allowance for themselves. However many "pay to enter" competitions are often as not just a rights grab with a fee. Check the terms and conditions and understand what it really is that you're submitting.

I think photo contests and lotteries are synonymous with each other these days. So do whichever you'll have more fun with.

We've all seen photo contests that make you scratch your head and wonder,

OK, so all the entries pay $30 or more depending on how many they enter.. And here is the prize list??? Looks like another big photo contest scam.

Prizes include:

• Black & White Spider Awards Title Award
  • Published in the Journal
  • Featured in Winners Movie
  • Showcased in the Gallery
  • International press and exposure

Runner,

I've noticed if I use the "save for web" feature and put in my dimensions in that dialog box, the file seems to look better than just changing the image size. Or I may well be going crazy, which is not entirely impossible :)

I didn't enter: the contest...or the lottery.

Spider site is--for the present at least--unresponsive. i.e. won't download www.thespiderawards.com

From researching the site while it was functioning, I know many past winners are successful professional photographers, amateurs in top photography grad schools and all list having won the award on their website.

Thank you all for the input.

My original image is a 13.2 MB jpeg, 72 ppi and 2,375 pixels longest side. When I convert the image to the contest requirement of 1024 pixels longest, the file size drops to 841 KB and the image doesn't look nearly as good as the original.

How do you resize?
Do you resharpen at new size?
If you look at both of them at full screen (not full size) they should look very close.
Why not post a link to the larger image?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back