Images looking washed out

No, I had the window down, but was in the driver's seat, seatbelt on and leaning backwards at an awkward angle so most likely was shaking all over the place. It's all quite strange.
metering was at eval

That might explain it. If your meter mode is set to Evaluative, The camera analyzes the entire frame all the way to the edges, then selects exposure settings designed to produce a "balanced" exposure. If the front of the camera was inside a dark car shooting into a bright scene, it could be using part of the dark interior to calculate the exposure. Similar to what you'd see if shooting a subject in shade with a bright sun beyond. I leave mine on Spot Mode but I tend to move around the scene taking readings, and adjusting in my head for a "balanced" exposure on what I want the scene to be, using either manual settings or the EV comp on program modes.

That might explain it. If your meter mode is set to Evaluative, The camera analyzes the entire frame all the way to the edges, then selects exposure settings designed to produce a "balanced" exposure. If the front of the camera was inside a dark car shooting into a bright scene, it could be using part of the dark interior to calculate the exposure.

Ah apologies, camera was outside of the car at the time.

The main issue is, you have not checked the calibration of the meter. Until you do this any suggestions to resolve your issues will be fruitless.

If you want help with calibration then a number of people are willing to help you.

Thanks that would be appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have access to a printer at the moment, but happy to order any necessary props.

Though I doubt it's causing your issue one last thought would be to check your firmware version. If you bought it used it might not have been updated over the years.

Other then that, as suggested above you need to check meter calibration/operation. While not as scientific as some of the other suggestions, go outside in a location thats fairly well lit, but out of direct sun. Put the camera on a tripod, switch to full manual. Set your ISO to 100, exposure mode to spot, auto focus to spot. Pick a subject to focus on, and using the camera meter adjust the shutter and/or aperture until the meter centers. Take the shot then bracket an over and under exposure. If the manual shots look as expected, it's not your meter.

That might explain it. If your meter mode is set to Evaluative, The camera analyzes the entire frame all the way to the edges, then selects exposure settings designed to produce a "balanced" exposure. If the front of the camera was inside a dark car shooting into a bright scene, it could be using part of the dark interior to calculate the exposure.

The main issue is, you have not checked the calibration of the meter. Until you do this any suggestions to resolve your issues will be fruitless.

If you want help with calibration then a number of people are willing to help you.

Thanks that would be appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have access to a printer at the moment, but happy to order any necessary props.

You don't need a printer, in fact that would be the wrong choice for meter calibration.

What you need is a 18% grey card, there are many to choose from but this one is very much like the original Kodak 18% grey card in materials. It is also reasonably cheap and the 8"x10" is a good size for exposure calibration methods, and you get 4"x5" one to place in your scenes for WB adjustments in post;
DGK Color Tools DGKR27-XT Digital Gray Cards (Set of 3)

Once you have an 18% grey card I can offer a number of suggestions on proper calibration.

I recently bought a second hand 60D as a backup to my main 760D and the images seem to be very washed out and just not very sharp.

Another thing to check is see if your Auto Lighting Optimizer is set to High.
If it is, you might set it to Disable or Low.
Steve Thomas

Perhaps the greatest mystery to accomplishing proficient looking recordings is to utilize lighting for your narrating. During conceptualization, attempt to be deliberate about your lighting. Decide the kinds of lights that you need and where you will put them to accomplish the impact that you need. Or on the other hand in case you're on a tight spending plan and are working with existing lights (like lights and the sun), consider how you can make it work for your specific scene.

For instance, in the event that you need a sensational looking scene, you'll need shadows in the correct spots. Despite what might be expected, having a lot of light can include cheer and make an ethereal feel, contingent upon your light arrangement. More

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 78
Perhaps the greatest mystery to accomplishing proficient looking recordings is to utilize lighting for your narrating. During conceptualization, attempt to be deliberate about your lighting. Decide the kinds of lights that you need and where you will put them to accomplish the impact that you need. Or on the other hand in case you're on a tight spending plan and are working with existing lights (like lights and the sun), consider how you can make it work for your specific scene.

For instance, in the event that you need a sensational looking scene, you'll need shadows in the correct spots. Despite what might be expected, having a lot of light can include cheer and make an ethereal feel, contingent upon your light arrangement.

Link removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Posts 37 and 38 reported as possible spam review requested

First, Restore all camera settings to factory settings to clear all settings from the camera. Go to Aperture priority mode and try clicking a picture with the lowest possible f-number in your camera. See if the same issue is occurring.
If the issue is there, check the metering and Exposure compensation values. It should be Evaluative and 0.

Most reactions

Back