Images looking washed out

biertje

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought a second hand 60D as a backup to my main 760D and the images seem to be very washed out and just not very sharp.
I've been doing everything I normally do when taking pictures, same technique, settings and so on, but I never seem to have these problems with my 760D. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong or if this is normal or if the camera(or lens) isn't functioning great. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I realise that the 60D is a little older, but I didn't expect this kind of difference.
Today I did a comparison of the 2 using the same settings and you can clearly tell a difference.
I have included 2 pictures below to demonstrate. Now this definitely aren't my best pics as I was in a car, but they highlight the issues the most.
Both using Canon 15-85 lens.
First one is:
ISO800
f5.6
1/125
IMG_7172.JPG

Second is:
IS0400
f5.6
1/125

IMG_7193~2.JPG

I'm a Nikonian, so not sure I can be much help, but on Nikon bodies there are 'picture settings' which you can adjust to control the appearance of .jpg images (are you shooting raw or .jpg?). Could it be that someone's moved the saturation slider to the left?

Wow thanks for the swift response. In these cases I was shooting in both, examples here are the jpeg.
I'll have a little play in the settings to see if I can find that. Thank you.

I think these were both taken at 85mm, not sure if that makes a difference.

IMO (only my opinion) Metering.
Your camera is picking up something lower in light level and is metering up.
The lighter end is coming out washed.
I would look to check your autofocus and spot metering areas.

Thanks. I'll have a look at the metering, think I'm using spot.
I use single point autofocus when shooting animals, how would I go about checking my auto focus?

Spot metering can lead to bad exposure settings in many cases.

Your two example photos look overexposed to me by about four stops.

Last edited:
At iso 800, the settings are wayyyy wrong in daylight..f/5.6 @ 1/125...not right! Is it possible that the exposure compensation control is set to a plus value?

You also have picture styles and custom settings on the 60d
Without getting the manual out some where in the green section of the menu there is custom settings
For what it’s worth I would sit down and go throughout the menu settings
EOS50Dpg45-1.jpg
1. Select [Clear settings].
  • Under the [
    EOS50DTools3.jpg
    ]
    tab, select [Clear settings], then press <
    EOS50DSet.jpg
    >.
EOS50Dpg45-2.jpg
2. Select [Clear all camera settings].
  • Turn the <
    EOS50DBackDial.jpg
    > dial to select [Clear all camera settings], then press <
    EOS50DSet.jpg
    >.
EOS50Dpg45-3.jpg
3. Select [OK].
  • Turn the <
    EOS50DBackDial.jpg
    > dial to select [OK], then press <
    EOS50DSet.jpg
    >.
  • Setting [Clear all camera settings] will reset the camera to its default settings.
Copied from the canon USA site
Hope it helps
All I did was search on bing.
Canon 60d user reset

Thanks all for the response. I have checked through my settings:
  • metering was at eval
  • exposure compensation set to 0
  • Auto white balance
  • Auto ISO
I have done a user reset too. Thanks for the tip on that.

However it's still over exposing anything that is light. It's working better when focusing on nearer objects that far ones. Just been taking shots through the window comparing both cameras in similar light conditions to my example shots - bright, but overcast. The differences are quite stark between the two. The 760D giving cloud details and not struggling much between the light differences between darker indoors and lighter outdoors. 60d just makes the sky bright white and and roofs a bit fuzzy. Even looking through the view finder looks a bit fuzzy. In P mode the 60D is doing higher iso 2000 and 1250 vs 320.
Perhaps I just bought a dud?

Try a all manual setting
See what your other camera suggests set both the same and see what happens

Thanks. Whoops, forgot to mention I tried that and there is still much more washed out sky than on the other camera. All very strange.

Ok well that’s all my ideas for the moment.
If I have any more I will post them

Thank you. Much appreciated.
It's all very strange.

Did you try to put on other lenses? If so, does that change anything?
Take off the lens and carefully examine the matrix, maybe it was cleared before by brush and there are some strains?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back