Imagination Sets Sail

MatchlessArts

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
In this image I wanted to create the effect of the girl blowing smoke in the shape of a ship in the middle of a mystical forest.

I started by changing the color of the leaves with hue/saturation and masks. I then masked out the sky areas in the background with a duplicate layer and masking.

I moved onto some contrast to darken some areas up and then some curves to add a sort of dream like effect.

For the smoke I used custom brushes where I smudged them, masked them and then blurred some areas.

I just had a ship silhouette and selected it and then selected a smoke layer, copied and pasted the ship with the smoke background.

Came together pretty well I think

Imagination Sets Sail
9986602874_5805099bb3_c.jpg

Before and After
1174666_642438915787873_1367358124_n.jpg

I like the work and thought, but to be honest, the final result just feels a little too contrived. WHY is she sitting in the forest? WHY is the smoke in the shape of a sailing ship? WHAT is she looking at?

The only thing that bothers me about this one is her gaze. I think it'd be better if she was looking in the direction the smoke is going aka where the ship is in the finished photo instead of up in the air. Where she's staring now makes me look up, but nothing's there. Otherwise, I like the Fall colors, and really like the pipe again.

I thought the smoke was Iron Man's face. no joke.

I think it's a neat kind of "WTF" idea. The smoke itself is quite well done. I agree with the comment that it would work better with the girl looking at the ship.

Thanks everyone, I thought she was looking at the ship but I guess it does kind of look odd.

lol about the iron man.

shes sitting in the forest cause she is an elf lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back