Importing in DNG versus RAW?

Mike: The simple fact of the matter is: The future is unpredictable. But even given the immense popularity of digital, film hasn't gone away. Yes, some parts of it has (RIP, Kodachrome!), and Kodak is currently on shaky financial footings.

I can't guarantee that my current computers will still be working in 2042. But there's nothing to say that .DNG won't be obsolete in 2 years either.

Still, there will be a market for file conversion in 2042 if all the current formats get flushed down the toilet by their various originators.

Of course, I could be like Eric Cartman.... freeze myself to be thawed out 3 weeks in the future just so I can play on the soon-to-be-released Wii (Season 10, Episode 12). I'd end up in 2546.

DNG doesn't throw out the exif data. I think it might throw out the proprietary information - not 100% sure though.

It stores XMP, EXIF and IPTC and can also store Private Metadata ( exclusive to manufacturers) AND it can also ( If you choose) store the original RAW file for later extraction. But at doubling of the file size

DNG doesn't throw out the exif data. I think it might throw out the proprietary information - not 100% sure though.

This is the key question I was trying to resolve. Thanks for the post! :hug::

Most reactions

Back