impromptu convention shoots

Von Rottes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took my camera gear to a convention, got lazy and only packed around my flash, camera and Vivitar Series 1 28-90 lens... Did some impromptu shoots with some friends at the hotel they were staying in... Figured I'd throw them up here and see what everyone thinks... maybe my photography is improving since the "viking" Shoot I did awhile ago.

DSC_1438.jpg
DSC_1441.jpg
DSC_1447.jpg
DSC_1448.jpg
DSC_1450.jpg
DSC_1455.jpg
DSC_1457.jpg
DSC_1458.jpg

As I said I packed light on my gear, no tripod or reflectors. I know the subjects don't look the best (especially after a night of heavy drinking beforehand) I'm more looking of input on the composition and lighting and retouching....Since this is the first time actually using a flash.... And yes, the focus is not spot on in some of them... Not going to make excuses, I was just being lazy.

IIRC I was shooting
28mm wide open at f/2.8, iso100, 1/40th and 1/64th power on the flash

I am not going to critique anything here because I am not great at portraits and/or using lighting. However, I will say that you are asking for critiques on something you say you were 'lazy' with. In order to improve the idea is to push yourself further and further and presenting your best efforts. So my suggestion is that if you want to improve, don't be lazy, compose yourself, and put your best efforts into every shoot you do. Complacency isn't going to take you very far in photography or in life in general.

Most reactions

Back