Improvement questions and C&C for a beginner

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I went on my first shoot the other day, took over 80 pics and got about 5 that I liked. I photoshopped some others and had posted them in the General category with this one, but I was hoping to get some C&C on this pic. What would you guys have done differently and why? I am a supernoob, so explanations will be necessary...LOL... Anyway, thanks for looking :D

DSC00079forPB.jpg

It is a nice shot. I hope it has not been altered in the computer yet, as it seem always the case with the majority.

The sun glow and the coconut tree is kind of tropical paradise.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with it except it's just not very exciting. Try and take some pictures that you don't see very often and step outside the box. I'm starting to realize more and more that your subject has as much to do with impacting viewers as pretty colors do. Pretty colors are important, they just work better in conjunction with a new and interesting subject. I am super guilty of taking cliche shots and wondering why I don't get the best response from viewers.

The image here could probably use a little sharpening in post, but overall, the composition is good.

This is a good beginner sunset. As usual it is overexposed- no problem. You used auto focus- and it was not as sharp because of the bright/dark subject. It is hard to focus manually or auto on a dark subject because there is nothing sharp to key on- also no problem.
If you had taken a exposure reading away from the sun, you would have had some shadow detail and a more pleasing picture. Remember to expose for detail, print for highlights.
Why did you take the shot- it inspired you and it should- when you get to be my age, a thousand snsets later, you will still not be able to pass one up, and others will think its boring. Shoot for YOUR soul.
Next time you will know what to think about.
Good luck
Judge Sharpe

Judge, thank you, that is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. I am basically looking for ways to improve as most noobs are and the only way to do that is to figure out what technical mistakes I made so that the next time I am shooting a similar subject I can get it right. Thanks for the advice and please, keep it coming...

Most reactions

Back