In bloom. C+C welcomed

Mike S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A couple from last weeks vacation. In the first I find the lighting to be harsh, morning or late afternoon would have been better. In the second I'm not sure if I would prefer to crop out the left third or not? And comments and critique are welcome. Please let me know how I can improve.

Very Nice

Tom

Last edited:
First impressions: 1) Looks a bit over saturated, but that may be the lighting as you have suggested. I would not have cropped so close, but that is just me.
2) Nice capture - detail is sharp and the colours look good. I like the way it is cropped as it give the butterfly some negative space to look into and also to fly into, therefore, I would not crop out the left third - leave it as it is. Nothing wrong with negative space.

Thanks for replying. I might have to attempt reprocessing of the first incorporating your suggestions. Thanks for the input.

Picture #1 is cropped way too close, as there is just no compositional value. It's more like the kind of picture you would see in a flower magazine or book as to species. It's also too contrasty due to the strong directional light. Believe me, I know that 1st hand, as I'm often forced to shoot in those very conditions. Now Picture #2 is a excellent composition, simple yet effective. Slightly over exposed. Try a slight re-edit to decrease the exposure a tad, and increase saturation a tad as well. Still, nicely done.

I too would leave the second one uncropped. It gives the butterfly breathing room, but the plant also provides strong leading lines that pull the viewer toward the bug. :thumbsup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back