In Camera or Editing?

If you're shooting raw, it doesn't really matter ;)

Yes it does. Shooting raw will not make it any easier trying to correct subjects that were shot under different light sources with different temperatures in post rather that if the lights would have been gelled and the WB set and it was done correct in the first place. Raw is just different than JPG in that it's a lossless format. You can still edit JPGs.

Would you rather have to correct 200 RAW files in post vs. getting them right in the camera? That time spend trying to fix those 200 photos may change your opinion.

In-camera much more so than in editing.

In camera is more for a shot that you could have handled better over all. Post is for a shot where you can improve on the limitations of the camera and/or the lens through tone mapping, selective filtering, bringing up detail in shadow areas etc.

skieur

Or for doing composite shots where the lighting and conditions won't allow one single photo to do the entire scene. But regardless, it's better to do what you can and get right what you can in camera so that you don't have to fix it in post. When I shoot composites, I make sure the exposures are as consitent as the light allows and that WBs are correct for what I'm shooting rather than having to go into PS and fix everything afterwards while trying to make a single image out of several on top of that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back