In connection with Neptune000's "Guess what?"-thread...

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...I made a test.

I got myself the salt crystals we once had grow in a jar (for experimentation reasons), and also got myself a bit of ordinary sugar.

I first photographed the salt crystals with my Sigma lens at 300mm in the macro position:

1. and 2.

salzkristallesigmamacro300.jpg

salzkristallesigmamacro3002.jpg

Then I photographed the salt crystals with the reversed kit lens on, at about 24mm

salzkristallerevlens20mm.jpg

And then I went about photographing the sugar crystals in the reversed lens mode at about 20mm

zuckerrevlens24mm.jpg

They are less cubic, more diamond-shaped

To show how much bigger than the sugar the salt crystals are, here some sugar next to one salt crystal photographed with the lens reversed at 24mm

zuckersalzrevlens24mm.jpg

With these photos in mind, I now begin to believe that it is sugar in Neptune000's_thread .

kind of cool shots you got there, its neat seeing the sugar and salt next to each other. Makes me want to try out reverse macro a little more in depth than holdin the lens up to the camera and hoping to get a decent shot! haha

Well, that has forever been the only method I can use! Thankfully I now have the Speedlite to help me, before that it was also hoping I'd be able to keep the camera steady enough (and it is black night outside).

yeah, i know how that is. I bought my brother a reversing ring on ebay for like 6 dollars for christmas and it seems to work pretty well, i just havent gotten around to actualy buying one for my own camera

i like the very first ones ... the latter are a bit too shallow in DOF for the subject... but that is just my taste maybe.

i think, they could all be dramatically
enhanced by using a different background :)

OK, you buy me a new desk? ;)
And with the reversed lens "macro", there is no more DOF to be had.
But hey, once you come round with the nicer new desk, you can bring the real macro lens, too! How's that for an idea!?!?!? ;) (And a day later I did photograph some sugar on a black cardboard, but in reversed lens macro, that cardboard suddenly gets EVER SO MUCH texture within that tiny, tiny band of focus, it is incredible). So think about it when you go choose me new desk, ok? ;) ;) ;)

i might get you new cardboard desk :p

And that would mean you come round in your Audi to bring it here? Uh-oh. Must go clean those windows FIRST :oops: ;)

Do you think that big salt cube in 3 looks "bizarre"? (I'm still into that subject... :roll: )

in you geometrical definition.. yes....

Most reactions

Back