In home shoots

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you take with you when doing an in home shoot? (Family, maternity, child /infant and/ or boudoir) Do you have a portable back drop system/ props / lighting ect. or do you tend to work with what is available.

Right now, I work with what is available. I do have a black sheet that I bring along that I can put up somewhere or have someone hold, but for the most part, I try and use what is around me. Some day I'd like to get a potable back drop system.

I bring it all. Backdrop stand with a few different backdrops. Full set of studio lights, stands etc. Softbox, umbrellas, grids, reflectors etc.

Of course, if I get there and I can find a location where I don't have to set up as much (or any) of that stuff, then it's a bonus. But I really don't want to show up and be forced to work in a crappy location with crappy lighting.

For example, I usually shoot this family on a simple white background and that's what they wanted again, but I suggested just shooting in their livingroom for a change and they went with it (for the family shot anyway).
zm_di_twins-05.jpg

I bring it all. Backdrop stand with a few different backdrops. Full set of studio lights, stands etc. Softbox, umbrellas, grids, reflectors etc.

Of course, if I get there and I can find a location where I don't have to set up as much (or any) of that stuff, then it's a bonus. But I really don't want to show up and be forced to work in a crappy location with crappy lighting.

For example, I usually shoot this family on a simple white background and that's what they wanted again, but I suggested just shooting in their livingroom for a change and they went with it (for the family shot anyway).
zm_di_twins-05.jpg

Your backdrop stand, how does that work? I've been looking for something that would be portable with backdrops, how to u transport it? Or maybe in other words, how is it "portable"?

That's essentially the same backdrop stand I have. Two heavy duty stands, and a sectional cross bar...all in a nice travel bag for about $100 (although shipping will cost you).

at Mike, can I ask what your set was on that pic? If I had to guess light on the left with some type of fill on the right? Nice pic
Large softbox on the left as main light. Umbrella to my right as fill. I think I may have had another light aimed at the wall/background (up high, pointed down.)

Lights, camera, action. My preference of shooting people at their places of residence is to not use a backdrop. I prefer showing a person's environment in the photos.

Don't mind the text. It's not the photos the client received.

I agree with not using a backdrop sometimes but with a backdrop you can then customize a background image in photoshop. This can give you a very custom look

Sarah
A Different Wedding

I got Cowboy light kit and Square Perfect stand with 3 backdrops. The only problem I have, the wrinkles. I looked at wrinkle free backdrops and most of them are $50 or more for 6X10.

I got Cowboy light kit and Square Perfect stand with 3 backdrops. The only problem I have, the wrinkles. I looked at wrinkle free backdrops and most of them are $50 or more for 6X10.

For my one and only on site shoot so far, I took all my stuff with me including a square perfect backdrop stand. It all fits nicely into a fairly small, easy to carry case.

As far as the backdrop itself, I picked up a Prism black 10x20 muslin backdrop on Amazon. It was 40 bucks and it shows. Very wrinkly, I ending going to a local camera store and picking up a roll of 9 foot wide black paper that worked out great. For my next on location shoot, I plan to bring it along. I have a mini van, so it's easy to transport.

I usually dont bring my backdrops and background stand with me. However, i got myself a smaller white and a blcack background big enough for headshots and for babys that i could bring with me.

Camera and gear, Savage portable backdrop stand, lighting kit w softboxes, seamless rolls (I always bring the thunder grey, and I have white, pink, yellow etc to choose from for specific sessions), sandbags, black muslin backdrop, hardwood flooring, extension cords and power strips, props (blankets, beanbag poser for newborns, kids toys, maternity props- whatever the session calls for), and I always have a "photographer's emergency kit" in the car with bottled water, baby wipes, shout wipes, diapers (for newborns), protein bars, candy and a little assortment of small toys to distract kids with. For strictly newborn sessions I bring a heater and speakers to plug my iPhone in to play white noise/womb sounds, and there's a whole other set of props that goes with me for the babies.

Sometimes you get lucky and a client has an amazing home with tons of natural light and it's clean and beautiful and perfect to shoot in, sometimes you have to improvise. I go through the home first and identify any possible locations to shoot in so I am not dragging out a bunch of gear that I won't use. It sounds like a lot of gear, but everything has a good carrying case, or is packed into an easy to manage tote, so it takes very little time to load/unload/set up/break down.

I am not bagging on anyone or how they do it, but I never feel comfortable using a clients furniture or a DIY rig rather than a proper background stand, or sheets instead of a muslin or seamless paper. I don't like parents/clients holding up a backdrop, that's just not my style. I believe that at least 25% of being a successful photographer is how you present yourself and to me that means being professional in a clients home (or in your own studio).

Right now, I work with what is available. I do have a black sheet that I bring along that I can put up somewhere or have someone hold, but for the most part, I try and use what is around me. Some day I'd like to get a potable back drop system.
How good is your business liability insurance?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back