In Need of Serious Help! - Job Tomorrow

lize1968

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear All

Hello from Blighty London and have I got a problem - got my first commercial commission tomorrow morning at 9am to shoot a football stadium in less than an hour on medium format??!!!***>>>>....

I usually shoot on 5x4 and take hours so I'm feeling v insecure and don't really know my way around a medium format - as if that wasn't enough - I seem to have forgotten everything I know down the loo!

So here it is - I shoot an 100 ASA polaroid and want to use 400 tranny film. I therefore stop down 2 f stops for the 400 film - right so far?! ....but then I know the weather's going to be ****, the sky grey, the stadium grey, silver and white so no blacks? - can I then re-rate the film for 800, keep the f stop the same and push process the film by 1 stop to get higher contrast??!!!! .....or should I just go find a small dark space and not come out for a few days?

Many thanks in anticipation

Lize1968

First thing... breathe. :hugs: Your basics don't fly out the door just because you're changing formats. 2 stops is correct from 100 to 400. If you're worried about contrast, pick a slide film that is a bit more contrasty. Fuji Provia 400 is on the more contrasty side IMO. I'm assuming that you'll be using a tripod. Pick your aperature for the desired depth of field and go from there with the shutter speed. Don't worry - If you've been dealing with large format well this long, you'll do fine with medium format. Just remember that no matter what format you're shooting, it still boils down to light, f-stops, shutter speeds and film/sensors. :mrgreen:

thanks so much for that and yes I have got myself in a state - it justs seems an impossible brief! Prob why they're testing me on it! So just to clarify if I'm right to stop down when using the 400 film, could I then rate that film at 800 ASA and push it one stop in processing to make it more contrasty?!

I've never pushed slide film myself to see how it affects contrast. I know it works like a charm with TMax though. :lol: Anyone else want to weigh in here?

I pushed 4x5 chrome once... I don't recommend it. Color shift, saturation shot to hell... just ugly.

Why not bring some 100 speed film too. That's always my first choice. Don't forget the filters.

If you get a decent poloroid, bracket a bit and you'll be fine. If you're still a bit anxious, bracket a bunch. A couple rolls of film will be a lot cheaper than a re-shoot (what I call "additional photography").

Best of luck.

Pete

Thanks for that guys - I do have some 100 ASA too so I'll just have to hope theres some sun - think of me tomorrow!

BTW... I'm not afraid of longer exposures. I've often make 20 second exposures and longer on type S film with good results.

I dunno if there's any reciprocity failure... I can't see it if there is.

Pete

Most reactions

Back