In need of tips on displaying your photography online

CastleDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello to all,
I currently do photography as a hobby. But my ideal goal would be to become some sort of inspiration to others. I want to have all my photos as organized and display them online in various social networks I have in mind such as my photography FB page,Flickr and so on. I have seen photographers whose photos are so neat in the sense of similar color tones, and just the aesthetic view that it's almost like their very own signature. (Even, if so many photos are starting to look alike nowadays).

But in terms of size, what should be the appropriate size for me to upload them online? I know that each photographer should be the actual large resolution size to their self..
also, how important is a watermark (If in the end, if someone wishes to steal they will find a way ..unless you tag the watermark across the photo which isn't much of an option for me) I do like the idea that a watermark shows credit and if someone perhaps sees your photo somewhere online they can find you based on your watermark.

Finally, do you add the same process of color tones, and photo editing when editing your photos so they all look sort of similar I know it depends on the lighting and all but do you strive to have a somewhat signature through your editing (if that makes any sense)

any further suggestions would be highly appreciated :)!

Couple of things:

- I would suggest using a theme (or "color tone") within a project or similar projects but not necessarily throughout your entire library. Don't pigeonhole yourself.

- I would suggest watermarking your photos but not to the point of it disrupting your subject matter. Lightroom has an easy tool to apply a watermark to whatever photos you choose. As you mentioned, determined people will strip the watermark, so watermarking (in my opinion) should be more about people being able to find you if they want to procure your services rather than you slathering your image with a PNG in hopes that someone hates your picture enough that they'll choose something else to steal.

- Upload your photos with a resolution appropriate for the service. Along these lines, try to understand how different services treat different pictures. Facebook, for instance, will reprocess your photos if they don't meet certain criteria:
https://www.facebook.com/help/www/266520536764594

Online services that you use to illustrate your work to others, however, should have as close to the original resolution and quality as possible.

Rather than using social media, I have a small gallery on my own web page (link below) where I have complete control of size & presentation. The images are small and saved in moderate quality JPG so that it is not all that usefull for anyone wanting to copy them. There is also a moderate amout of copy protection built into the web page itself. My slide-shows are actually MP4 video's.

Rather than using social media, I have a small gallery on my own web page (link below) where I have complete control of size & presentation. The images are small and saved in moderate quality JPG so that it is not all that usefull for anyone wanting to copy them. There is also a moderate amout of copy protection built into the web page itself. My slide-shows are actually MP4 video's.
That's interesting. i don't have lightroom, no watermarks, avoid posting a lot of things, and don't want to pay for a service so other than getty images don't have much out there. I wonder if that is a option.

Hello to all,
I currently do photography as a hobby. But my ideal goal would be to become some sort of inspiration to others. I want to have all my photos as organized and display them online in various social networks I have in mind such as my photography FB page,Flickr and so on. I have seen photographers whose photos are so neat in the sense of similar color tones, and just the aesthetic view that it's almost like their very own signature. (Even, if so many photos are starting to look alike nowadays).

But in terms of size, what should be the appropriate size for me to upload them online? I know that each photographer should be the actual large resolution size to their self..
also, how important is a watermark (If in the end, if someone wishes to steal they will find a way ..unless you tag the watermark across the photo which isn't much of an option for me) I do like the idea that a watermark shows credit and if someone perhaps sees your photo somewhere online they can find you based on your watermark.

Finally, do you add the same process of color tones, and photo editing when editing your photos so they all look sort of similar I know it depends on the lighting and all but do you strive to have a somewhat signature through your editing (if that makes any sense)

As has been pointed out, don't pigeonhole yourself by trying to always process the same. That's a surefire way to both stunt your development and get bored with your own work.
As far as posting, for social sharing I limit the size of my uploads to 1024px on the long edge. I also watermark my images. Just a small pattern in the lower left corner that is easily recognized as mine but can be just as easily missed by people not paying attention. As you develop so will your style, no need to try and force the issue. The feel of your work goes beyond what you shoot and how you process the images. Some peoples work always seems to carry a sense of amusement or happiness. Others manage to instill a sort of mystical wonderment, and some manage a sense of dread. These things come subconciously from the personality of the photographer.

The surest way to fail is to focus on how others see your work. Trying to build a portfolio to "inspire others" rather than just letting yourself be inspired will only hinder your work.

That's interesting. i don't have lightroom, no watermarks, avoid posting a lot of things, and don't want to pay for a service so other than getty images don't have much out there. I wonder if that is a option.

You will have to pay someone for server space & a domain for your own web page, unless your ISP provides space for a website!

Hello to all,
I currently do photography as a hobby. But my ideal goal would be to become some sort of inspiration to others.

this struck me as an unusual goal for someone who seems to be, from their equipment list, a very novice photographer.
perhaps a more proximate goal would be to become a skilled photographer first and then decide how you could progress to a state where you could be some sort of inspiration to others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back