In the jungle, the mighty jungle...

Oooo renting!! Good idea!!! Der, why didn't I think of that...haha.

I would still get a 1.4 TC you'll never regret it and it will be usefull with other lenses

Why has no one suggested the 2x TC. With the 70-200 L you can get very good results. As previous noted Africa will be bright and stopping the lens down will help with IQ. This would be better than the 70- 300 IS ( which I have and is a nice lens) and cost less.
The bigest draw back I see is swapping out TC's in a dusty enviroment.

You might want to consider renting a 100-400L this is an amazing lens and would serve your purposes best and would be my first choice to have with me.

That's why I was going to read most of the post and that's the first thing that I thought of was getting a teleconverter. You don't loose that much light. Sure, that 2.8 will be nice closer to dusk, but for daytime shots you can get plenty of enough light (you're going to be in Africa!) to get a fast enough shutter speed.

Also, I would recommend renting a lens unless you just decide to get a teleconverter. Can you use one from another photoraphy friend? Joves, just saw your post about renting. I rent the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR all the time becuase i"m looking to spend $1,600 for a lens like that.

~Michael~

P.S. I'm small enough to fit in most larger suitcases, so I'll have to come along with you

For a 2.5 week excursion to Africa (which for most is a once in a lifetime even) I would do much more than 200mm for good shots of wildlife.

Ah Im going to try out the Sigma 300-800 before I decide to buy it. So what do they charge to rent that one?

Africa is one heck of a photo trip, you shouldn't skimp on the lens, because you may never get a chance to go back.

My suggestion: buy a USED prime telephoto off ebay, something like a 300mm f2.8 + teleconverter or a 500mm f4.5.

THEN

RESELL IT WHEN YOU GET BACK... put a few amazing wildlife photos taken with the lens in your ebay ad and you're as likely to make $$ off the lens as lose $$. In the end even if you sell it for a few hundred $$ less, it will be cheaper then renting, and well worth it.

The two big risks you take are theft, which can be covered with travelers insurance, and falling in love with the lens and not wanting to sell it.

I can't overemphasis the importance of buying a prime lens when you want ultimate quality from a super-telephoto... zoom lenses don't compare.

This lens is for sale on ebay right now for $3600, the rental price on something like this would be in the hundreds PER DAY! Your much better off buying and reselling.

1f.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back