In the water. C&C please. Trying to learn creative modes.

Puddenpop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1.Red lilly pad under the water.

TinkerCreekStatePark005-Copy.jpg

2. Cattails

TinkerCreekStatePark032.jpg

Creative modes? Or, creative techniques?

If you are relying on built-in camera modes don't plan on a lot of success. Digital cameras are not all that smart.

The cattails would have benefited from flash, so you could have made the background darker. As it is they are getting lost in the slightly bright and equally busy background.

When you use flash (strobed light) you can control the ambient light exposure differently from the flash exposure.

Last edited:
Let me ask you a question.

Do you feel these photos interesting to look at?

To me, there's nothing of interest to look at. The cattail one makes my eyes wander looking for something I missed, a bird, a dead body... something, anything.

I'm not trying to discourage you, only trying to help you see the big picture... Try a different angle, get closer, lower, higher, farther away, look for something in the background, a sunset/sunrise to bring the photo out more.

Last edited:
I like the second image and with some post processing, the muted colors of the original can really be improved

TinkerCreekStatePark032.jpg

Although the edit is better, but my thoughts remain the same.

Someone once told me: You can't polish a turd.

Makes a lot of sense, and I bring that train of thought with me in photography. Sometimes a shot is just not what you had hoped, no matter what you do with it - just move on and try to improve.

I'm not saying these photos are turds... I'm just saying.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back