Inaccurate focus problem - what do I do?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My 35mm 1.8G and D5200 together don't really get accurate focus through the viewfinder. Since my D5200 doesn't have built-in lens calibration features, does Nikon's warranty cover calibration? I end up with usually usable photos, but it's very clear the focus point is either front or back-focused (I'm not sure) just by enough to make my focus point not as razor sharp as the lens would allow for if the focus were correct.

Just to get it out of the way: I realize at f1.8 - f2.8, the DoF is very thin, and it's easy to be off focus. I know how to focus my camera. I know about shutter speeds, etc. I realize I can post pictures, and I'll post test pics later in another thread to specifically identify the problem.

Last edited:
I think you can get a firmware update from the Nikon site. If that is what it needs.

Yes, Nikon will check the AF calibration under the warranty.
They may also want the lens.

The 35 mm f/1.8G is an relatively inexpensive consumer grade lens and has limits to how sharply it can focus.
Camera Lens Quality: MTF, Resolution & Contrast
Large apertures are where high quality lenses really stand out, because the materials and engineering of the lens are much more important.

Most reactions

Back