Income.. What would you do?

I think people need to consider not just pay but covering their insurance, paying into retirement, etc. Maybe being on a spouse's insurance can cover that, but I don't know about retirement, and SS doesn't seem to be a lot. You don't think about if you'll ever need it but I never thought I'd have a stroke in my early 50's and take an early retirement. I'm glad I had the benefits I did to cover medical expenses that were fairly extensive; I don't know what I would've done without that. I don't know what I'd do now without a decent retirement (although I could've put in for disability but retired instead).

The only photographers I know locally do it part time. I don't know that there were ever a lot of full time jobs as photographers but now, there are way too many people with cameras trying to make money. I don't see it being a realistic full time job/income/benefits. I think it would be necessary to start as a sideline, build up the business and reputation, and then see if it's possible to make enough money to do more than just barely get by.

If someone wants to be an artist, photographer, writer, etc. better stick to doing that on the weekends/spare time, and then maybe build up a business. I think it's unrealistic to expect otherwise.

The tax ramifications of part-time work can be minimized if you keep track of expenses. Many people that I've talked with overlook a lot of the deductions they are allowed.
IMHO you just don't have to worry about part-time photography income unless the amounts get relatively high.

I'm quite happy being an ametuer, I get more freedom that way. I don't need to worry about if what I'm shooting has commercial value or not.

But after not being able to find a job in the area I served my apprenticeship I've spent the last 13 years working in my current industry and it's finally starting to pay off, given I've worked my way up pretty much from the bottom rung on the ladder. I've looked at changing jobs a few times over the years and if my photography skills were better at the time it would have been something I'd have tried. Thankfully I'm in a good workplace where hard work and commitment is recognised and my bosses are keen to give you chances to succeed and support. It doesn't happen quickly but it can happen if you are in the right environment. I'd be loathe to throw that away quickly. I've been incredibly lucky but I'm slowly building a carreer.

Ultimatley it comes down to the question, is it something you really want to do or is it just something you are interested in at a time when your job is in a bit off a lull?

I was in a similar situation 12 years ago. I was working in IT, designing large systems for large companies, and I was getting sick of it. I decided to take a voluntary redundancy and retire a bit early. I was 56. Several of my friends suggested it take up professional photography as I could take some ok photos. I thought about it as I wasn't really ready to retire, but decided that I really didn't want to do weddings, events, fashion, product, etc photography as that would just swap something I no longer wanted to do but payed really well, for something I probably didn't want to do that paid worse. So I decided to continue with taking the photos that I liked, and that I assumed no one would want to buy. I took mostly nature with a particular emphasis on macro, particularly of wild fungi. So I retired to the bush (I'm Australian, so we call the country The Bush) and planted about 2,000 trees. Everything went well, the trees grew, I got a divorce and my fungi photos started to become popular. I never tried to sell them, but as luck would have it, people started to want to buy them. First it was with major magazines, like NatGeo, then it was with broadcasters, like the BBC, then it was with Universities and NGOs who wanted me to help them document fungi. Now, while I can hardly say I earn a fortune doing it, I am busy most of the time with fungi photography, time lapse and with travel all over the world.

I do not suggest that this is a path the anyone could intentionally follow, but it shows what can be achieved with a mix of luck and passion. My cameras are sponsored by Sony, my travel is sponsored by a variety of sponsors and broadcasters provide a steady income from time lapse. I have the best cameras available (unashamed plug for Sony), I get to travel to some of the most extraordinary fungi locations on the planet and my time lapse gets to be shown on Planet Earth II, Our Planet, Hostile Planet, etc, etc.

If you have an opportunity to do something while you are being paid for something else, then take that opportunity. Just remember - nothing lasts forever.

I would recommend you to stick with your day job and do side gigs during free nights and weekends.
The sad truth is, a lot of photographers cannot earn much money, so most of them do it during their free time. Once you save up , you can maybe start a studio and then make it big.

Most reactions

Back