Income.. What would you do?

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So this isn't so much a thread on business necessarily, but more on a decision one would take.

Scenario:

You work in local government and have become so efficient at your job, that you literally run out of work on a regular basis.
You profession is such that a private industry equivalent puts you into a conflict of interest condition, so that's out.

You have lots of photo equipment and more and more lots of time.

You are thinking of side gigs, but you are still needed at your reg. job to do reg. work, and in some cases to a near extreme. But once done, more down time.

Do you peruse a part time money making venture?
Do you simply play camera dude when you feel like it?
Move to leave reg. job into a pro field doing who knows what is demanded?

Insights?

Most people in your position would work evening / weekends at the new venture (photography in your case) to build up the business to where it
1. Reaches a point where you make enough to easily quit your full-time day job without any thought
2. Reaches a point where it cant grow anymore without quitting your day job and then determine if you think the extra growth would be enough earnings to be happy with.
3. Reaches a point where you realize it will never be a sustainable career and just keep doing it as part time work / hobby.

Based on so many other factors, (Cost of living in your area, supporting spouse with income to sustain.... lifestyle you desire...) the answer and the actual $$ you need to make will vary per person.

Photography is a type of business that can survive /flourish on evening / weekends only starting out since many opportunities fall into that schedule (Weddings, sports events / concerts / portraits (as they would have day jobs as well) Unlike others that could infringe on your day job.

It's also important to note the tax situation - many small time and weekend warrior type jobs are often "cash in hand" ventures and might also make so little that ,even declared, they have marginal effect on your tax situation. However that can all change once you try to shift them from supplemental to primary income/work. The sudden shift might mean you've built yourself a client base at one price point which is unsustainable if you make it your primary and lose your other job and its income. That could mean the market you've built yourself is suddenly not the market you can actually earn from which can lead to huge early setbacks as you have to rebuild your client base.

It's also important to realise that your job situation might change; if your manager sees you with too much free time you might well end up with more duties; if its a case of twiddling your thumbs whilst on the job you could also ask or find additional work to keep you productive.

Then you have to consider that its one thing to work now and then with photography and not worry about bills ;but quite another when you've got to get out there and shoot even though the weather is rubbish; the light is wrong etc... You've still got to turn that profit every week. Whilst if its just a supplemental job you can miss out whole months if you want.

Assuming your government job is paying the bills and providing a decent standard of living, why not use your skills and equipment as a way to give back? There are ALWAYS charitable organizations that need imagery. I'm not advocating "working for free" in the sense of "I'll do anything to get behind the camera and shoot a session", but rather making a charitable contribution (and most organizations should be able to give you a receipt for your services as a donation in kind).

Have to agree with the comment, that your paid job gives you the security therefore the personal photography can be stress free some may even say lucky you I have had a job like yours, I used the free time to add to my job where I could that way I was not sat doing nothing and could be busy when I needed to also it generated a lot of goodwill by doing those , it’s not my job but it needed doing, jobs that help everyone. But you know your situation and Sat here
I am not going to say how you should deal with it Have fun and good luck be with you

One thing I've learned over the years - when hobbies become work, they lose a lot of their original appeal.

I would keep it part-time.
Here are some things to consider:
  • Have you done a proper business plan?
    • If not, do it. That may answer many of your questions, asked and unasked.
  • If you go full-time, a major consideration which many ignore is, 1) who are your clients, and 2) how do you keep your client/income pipeline constantly full; month after month, year after year, for the next 20+ years?
    • The marketing/drumming up business is the un-fun side of business, but no clients = no income.
    • I know someone who started a business, and went well for a couple years. But he could not keep his pipeline full and business gradually went down, until he had to shut down from lack of business.
  • When you go on vacation, you are not earning money, so you don't have an income. No Vacation pay.
  • When you are sick, you are not earning money, so you don't have an income. No Sick pay.
  • Health care insurance can be a MAJOR cost item.
    • If you are lucky, you can piggy back on your spouses work health insurance.
  • Will you need an office/studio (rent and utility expense) or will you work out of your home (do you have space)?
    • Renting usually involves a lease, so you are committed for a period of time, and can't just say "I quit" in the middle of a lease.
  • Do you have the gear needed to go pro?
    • My hobby kit won't cut it, I would have to buy several thousand dollars of gear.
    • A backup body is now MANDATORY. And so is a backup to your backup, if/when your primary camera has to go into the shop. Though that can be a rental.
  • Will you need an assistant for some of the gigs?
    • Do you have them lined up? How much will it cost?
    • Depending on the situation/jurisdiction, your assistant may be considered an employee. And that means employment tax and all the stuff that goes with employees.
  • How long will it take you to start making a profit? (The general guideline is a business won't start to make a profit for 3-5 years. Plan for 5, hope for 3.)
    • Do you have the funds to absorb the losses until you do make a profit? Can you afford this?
    • Then how long will it take you to make up the loses of your beginning years? Just because you are now making a profit does not mean you are clear. You now have to pay yourself back for the losses of the years until you turned a profit.
    • BTW, this just relates to your business expense, not paying you a salary/draw. So you are living off your savings for several years, until the business makes enough profit to pay you.
  • Do you have a "plan B" for if/when the market changes, and you loose clients?

Last edited:
One thing I've learned over the years - when hobbies become work, they lose a lot of their original appeal.
Yes, I have this feeling even when I'm not doing paid photo jobs.
When helping others out with taking photos for free, I already know there are expectations. Because you want to deliver good quality and people know what style you shoot and you think they expect you to deliver the same quality.
And even if you shoot voluntary, this idea can give a lot of stress.

I just keep doing it as a hobby, without anyone expecting me to do anything.
I don't take any jobs anymore, not even free.
But that's because of my self-image/esteem is quite low at the moment.
Currently I'm into quitting any compulsive behaviour in my hobbies and interests: vacation & rest, that's what I need.

Yes, I have this feeling even when I'm not doing paid photo jobs.
When helping others out with taking photos for free, I already know there are expectations. Because you want to deliver good quality and people know what style you shoot and you think they expect you to deliver the same quality.
And even if you shoot voluntary, this idea can give a lot of stress.

I just keep doing it as a hobby, without anyone expecting me to do anything.
I don't take any jobs anymore, not even free.
But that's because of my self-image/esteem is quite low at the moment.
Currently I'm into quitting any compulsive behaviour in my hobbies and interests: vacation & rest, that's what I need.

I completely, totally agree with this post.
My intent when I moved to NYC was to reduce every possible source of stress and I did that by eliminating every sort of responsibility.
In this vein I have even stopped volunteering as a photog.

I was in the exact situation years ago before I quit my career to do photography full time. I was in IT for 20 years and at the top of my game . It wasn't an over night decision but I used my full time job to build my business. For a while, I was basically working 2 jobs getting 3 hrs of sleep each night. When I quit my W2 job, my business has been bringing in consistent income for the previous 3 years so it wasn't a hard decision to leave. However, it wasn't an easy decision either since I gave up my pension, 401k, vacation, sick days, and a consistent income for something that is unknown.

Doing this as a hobby is very different than doing this as your full time profession. There are different business strategies and any of them will take time to grow. You're selling something that is intangible and is a luxury for most people, so most of the common sales strategies will not work. A lot of time you need to give up short term gratification for long term gains. Running a business isn't for everyone in general and most photographers failed not at photography but at the business part. Running a business isn't for everyone in general and most of the photography business failed not because of photography but because of the business part.

Take it from me, it's not an easy thing and you will make a lot of sacrifices. It's a HUGE mountain to climb when you start and not everyone will be able to do it. But, you can definitely earn a good living doing what you absolutely love. :)

If I were in your situation I would come up with photography projects to fill the time available. A project that produces a body of work can be very satisfying, especially when nicely printed and made into a book or framed art. Since you already have a source of income, keep the photo as a pleasure and creative outlet, not an obligation.

I completely, totally agree with this post.

My intent when I moved to NYC was to reduce every possible source of stress and I did that by eliminating every sort of responsibility.

In this vein I have even stopped volunteering as a photog.

I understand how you feel.

Every person is different, some people have lots of ambitions and want to do big things, others want to focus on small things or are less ambitious, I don't know.

When I compare what my brother does in the same hobbies, he’s always standing 100 miles further than me and does projects that are too far out of my reach. He seems to have so much more energy. But I’m totally not sad about it, I’m happy with the smaller things I do.

I'm someone who's hard to tolerate stress and have difficulties with responsibilities too. That’s the reason why I always end up in low-profile jobs. The older I get, the more I experience situations that are out of my comfort zone.

If life’s a river and you let it flow naturally without interfere by your own decisions and just say ‘yes’ in each situation, your life can change so drastically.

15 years ago I didn’t want to get married, not in need for children, didn't want to drive a car and wanted to live in the big city with everything near me.
Nowadays I’m married, have children, live on the countryside and have a drivers licence. Although I almost never drive a car… sometimes, if you let life go it’s own way, it takes you out of your comfort zone without realizing.

When you leave your current job for a photo hobby adventure, do think it through before jumping into the hole.

As for my personal hobbies, I want total freedom, no other person needs to restrict my ideas or impose rules, deadlines, expectations. Even if they'd pay me lots of money for it.
That’s why I don’t take on any jobs or photo opportunities from anyone else. I came to realize I just want to do my own thing, for myself.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back