The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
He did eventually come back without going further, saying the big rock felt wobbly.
An attempt at the Darwin awards

upload_2019-8-2_9-30-38.png

No wonder that rock felt wobbly, he could have sent it and him over.
We all do stupid sometimes, but endangering others, eg the rescue crew who would have to come and save him, is not only stupid but thoughtless as well.

Going down the several hundred feet onto rock along with whatever boulders that would go along would probably mean recovery not rescue.

Yep, I seen a lot of stupidity whilst on the water normally involves men and booze.
There is a saying amongst skippers, for men who drink and then on the back of the boat to have a P as sometimes the effect of the boat movement the booze and being plain stupid in the first place by standing on the transom to pass water. The sea does not forgive and if they fall in as above then there is a good chance they end up....

FDFO, Face Down, Flys, Open.

I see in you photo there are truck/tyre tracks below, pity the person below.
Where I used to sail from there is a road bridge over the water, peeps with a death wish, jumpers, would try and time their jump to land on the yacht passing below. Got to the stage we would put a tack in just under the bridge to fool anybody thinking of jumping

I don't know why people are so stupid.

Similar thing at the volcano in Hawaii.
The rangers sets a point where it is "proceed at YOUR OWN RISK."
And a LOT of tourists go beyond that point, ignoring the warnings from the ranger, that they will NOT be rescued if anything happens to them.
If the top of the lava tube collapses (which happens), they would be dumped into the molten lava and incinerated.

Apparently the "Danger, Do Not Go Beyond This Point" signs means nothing.

"Hold my beer and watch this" has led to many accidents. I do like the photo though.

Darwin Award candidate.

Yes, nice shot, Lew.

I find it hard to feel sympathy for the idiots in this world that do those stupid things.

You got a nice photo Lew. Otherwise I'm just shaking my head...

And a LOT of tourists go beyond that point, ignoring the warnings from the ranger, that they will NOT be rescued if anything happens to them.
If the top of the lava tube collapses (which happens), they would be dumped into the molten lava and incinerated.

Proceed at your own risk and do not go beyond this point have two very different meanings.

Everyone has a different threshold for what they consider “stupid”. Really I think in this situation it would be more accurate to say needlessly dangerous. I watch rock climbers do what they love and would never attempt anything even close to what they do. It’s not uncommon for them to die doing what they love too. I wouldn’t call it stupid though. Photographers die taking pictures too. My point is just that if people never push the envelope of what is “safe” then it robs us of what it feels like to be alive.

Proceed at your own risk and do not go beyond this point have two very different meanings.

Everyone has a different threshold for what they consider “stupid”. Really I think in this situation it would be more accurate to say needlessly dangerous. I watch rock climbers do what they love and would never attempt anything even close to what they do. It’s not uncommon for them to die doing what they love too. I wouldn’t call it stupid though. Photographers die taking pictures too. My point is just that if people never push the envelope of what is “safe” then it robs us of what it feels like to be alive.

doing stupid things because you want to, doesn't make a person heroic. It merely makes them stupid.

Its like playing in traffic.. SOME people might get their kicks off of dodging trucks, but the day they slip and fall in front of a fully loaded garbage truck and end up smeared along 3 city blocks.... they wont be heroes, they'll just be a schmear on the road

Most reactions

New Topics

Back