Indoor Lighting advice

DunLaugh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello I'm new here. I just recently got a better camera, and I realize that it would be a good idea for me to learn some techniques. So I want to learn how to take decent pictures of model faces. I don't have equipment since I am a beginner (just a camera and lamps), so I'm working with artificial light, and I just have a few questions.

If you're unable to use natural lighting, what light color is best when using a light source such as a lamp? (ex yellow, white)

When you want to make the shadows of the face softer, do you move the light source or the face away, or cover the light source with something thin so less light comes through?

Is it best to have one light source, or many? If more is better, where should my lamps be placed so that there aren't any shadows on the face? (ex two lamps opposite of each other facing the face)

If there are any helpful video tutorials for people who don't have equipment, please show me. ^^

This is some advice from a photographer that does not use lighting (except the sun) ... so bear with me:

Use your custom white balancing in the camera ... white is better.

Diffused light softens shadows ... covered light source.

The number of lights changes the light/shadows ... so it can vary.

[video]http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/225858-strobist-post-your-photos-setups.html[/video]

Hello I'm new here. I just recently got a better camera, and I realize that it would be a good idea for me to learn some techniques. So I want to learn how to take decent pictures of model faces. I don't have equipment since I am a beginner (just a camera and lamps), so I'm working with artificial light, and I just have a few questions.

If you're unable to use natural lighting, what light color is best when using a light source such as a lamp? (ex yellow, white)

You certainly have a lot of questions. I would recommend the public library, but we will see if I can give you the short versions. The info that you asked for would take several books to answer.

As far as light color with a digital camera, it doesn't matter. You can set your white balance to compensate for any color of light. Now there is something called a CRI(color rendering index) and it measures what wavelengths are missing from the light. Generally the higher the better. Anything above 85 is usually okay for general photography. The thing is, if the wavelenth isn't there, it can't be seen or photographed. Same sort of principle as looking at an object under a blacklight. Some colors just won't appear.
When you want to make the shadows of the face softer, do you move the light source or the face away, or cover the light source with something thin so less light comes through?
The larger the apparent light source, the softer the shadows will be. In photography, that means the closer the light, or the larger the light, the more gradual the shadows will appear.
Is it best to have one light source, or many? If more is better, where should my lamps be placed so that there aren't any shadows on the face? (ex two lamps opposite of each other facing the face)
More options are just about always better. A background light helps to separate the subject from the background and allows the background to be at the light level that you want. A hair light adds separation and a dimension to the photo. A main light provides the primary illumination for your subject. A fill light reduces contrast(usually somewhere near the camera axis). There can be great shots from a one light set up, and from a 20+ light set up. It all depends on what your intentions are. Generally, for a standard portrait, 5 is considered the normal(Main, Kicker, Fill, Hair, and Background)
If there are any helpful video tutorials for people who don't have equipment, please show me. ^^
There are a ton, goto Youtube, and search for photographic lighting. You could probably spend a few days straight just watching tutorials. Again, the public library is an amazing resource. It's just about free and you can flip through the books and find one that fits your style.

Good luck...you've entered an amazing world...one in which you can create the photo in front of you instead of just capturing what happens to be in front of you.

Thank you for the link IgsEMT . I faved it :)

@Kerbouchard: Thank you so much for the information! This will definitely help me a lot with lighting. I may not have the proper equipment, but I can still work with what I have in order produce a good picture as long as I put into consideration, your advice. I will do my best! ^^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back