Indoor, No Flash Photography question

scottjen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using a Fuji Finepix S2 pro, which I am happy with. Right now, my arsenal of lenses consists of a Quantaray 28-200mmD F/3.5, Quantaray 100-300mmD F/4.5, Nikkor AF Micro 105mm F/2.8, and Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G. We are travelling to Italy next month, and I plan to be taking a lot of indoor, no flash pictures. I am wondering if the lenses I have are of adequate aperture or do I really need to spring for a big gun like the Nikkor 135mm F/2.0D AF DC? The first three lenses I purchased with the camera from a retiring wedding photographer, so I am still learning all their capabilities. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

The 70-200 F2.8 VR is a great lens and should let you shoot indoors fairly well.
I might recommend a fast prime though. Maybe something like a 50mm F1.4

Of course, your camera's capability to shoot at higher ISO will play a factor. It's a bit of an older camera, so I'm not sure how good/bad it is...but the key to getting usable shots at high ISO is to nail the exposure.

There is no piece of glass that can not be made faster with a good tripod and longer shutter speeds. Keep in mind that is a great idea for shooting the interior of an old church, but a lousy idea for moving subjects. Just food for thought, depending on what you plan on shooting.

I agree that the 105 and the 70-200 are perfect lenses for what you are trying to do. One thing you might want to consider though is leaving everything home except for the 70-200 and buying yourself a 17-55 2.8.

Mike,
Thanks for the input! The 70-200 is truely an amazing lens, but a bit cumbersome in crowds. I've been doing some reading since your reply and am now scouring the web for a reasonably priced 50mm F/1.4. Have you used a 2x or 3x teleconverter with this lens? I'm just concerned about photographing art work from a distance (no flash - of course!). I understand the loss of aperture with a teleconverter, and I hope that starting at an F/1.4 will still allow for good indoor photos. Thanks again!

I've never heard of anyone using TC with a 50mm lens.

Maybe consider the 85mm F1.8 (great lens at a great price), the 100mm F2.0 or the 135mm F2.8 (or 135mm F2.0 L $$$)

There are always older film lenses on ebay. Lots of 135mm 2.8s by reputable manufacturers for ~50USD. Then you need an adapter. Not suitable for all situations since you have to MF, but an idea.

Mike,

The TC probably isn't necessary. It's just my inexperienced stream of consciousness rearing up! Also, I've not used the 50mm before - I'm looking foward to getting one and playing a little before we travel in July!

JIP,

Looked up the 17-55mm F/2.8! It sounds like a great lens, very multi-purpose. Kinda steep for my budget, though! Also, I wonder if it's too sophistocated for my ol' S2 pro (Nikon F mount).

Most reactions

Back