Indoor Picture Critique

Thanks for your help! I LOVE photography, it just rattles my brain sometimes. I know I'm progressing, but to ME it's not fast enough. I want to be awesome, like, yesterday LOL. I know for me only having my camera for 2 weeks, constantly using it all in manual, and never having used a camera like this before, I need to be proud of myself. But I'm my biggest enemy, because I frustrate myself when I feel it's not the progress I want. I know I'll get there, I just need to have patience and enjoy the ride!

Yeah, you do. You didn't learn to walk or drive or eat or talk in two weeks and photography is more complicated. Give it time, it will come. Nobody can even come close to scratching the surface that quickly. Heck, it took longer than 2 weeks to write the owner's manual for your camera.

I like the basic shot for the first pic, but your white balance looks off, as others have mentioned. I also think you could benefit from a closer crop.

Here's my take on an edit:

Edits:

White Balance - picked a neutral from the plaid shirt
Blacks - +5
Contrast
Clarity
Sharpening - Amount, radius, detail, & masking
Noise reduction - moderate luminance, moderate color
Adjustment Brush - Iris enhance & skin soften

I'm a noob and still learning. Hopefully I'm not giving bad advice, lol... Take it FWIW

WhiskeyTango

1. I like the suggested edit; I was thinking just the same thing, with regards to cropping. I would leave the grain. It is not a sin. Maybe try a B&W version too, somehow, grain is more acceptable there.

2. To me, this is a snapshot. A good family snapshot. I don't think it can be made into art. The world needs snapshots too!

3. Needs more cropping. Try a horizontal crop. Again, I think this is better as a family snapshot. (nothing wrong with that!)

Thanks for all the editing tips and critiques!

@Jeremy Z - I know this isn't an artistic photo, but that little girl was just so darn cute. I'm trying to work on my editing techniques :)

Most reactions

Back