Indoor wedding photography flash?

I am not sure what a "speedflash" is but if I were you I would go out and buy an SB-800 and use y 60 as a backup and/or second light. Are you going to be getting paid to do this because if so you will also need a second body as a backup and ideally you should have some faster glass.

I am not sure what a "speedflash" is but if I were you I would go out and buy an SB-800 and use y 60 as a backup and/or second light. Are you going to be getting paid to do this because if so you will also need a second body as a backup and ideally you should have some faster glass.

Whoops, I meant speedlight.

Yes, I am getting paid for this. I am looking into purchasing another body as well. I am also purchasing a few other lenses.

Whats wrong with your sb600?

I like it, but... I don't know. I've tinkered with a ton of different settings, and I can never get them to come out just right. It's either too dark, or way over exposed.

I'm just seeing as to what other photographers have used and what worked for them.

Yes it's TTL.

I have used it both on manual and auto *hides in shame*.

Even in both setting, I have issues. Maybe I'm just dumb and can't figure why it's doing that. I'm trying to achieve a "natural light" with the flash. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's too dark and I don't get it. I know the SB600 is a good flash, but maybe my setting skills just suck.

I would invest in a prime like the 50mm f/1.4 before buying another flash, in a lot of cases it is inappropriate to use flash during the ceremony.

Haha, fitting title then. Any ways you should look to do off camera flash also.

I like it, but... I don't know. I've tinkered with a ton of different settings, and I can never get them to come out just right. It's either too dark, or way over exposed.

I'm just seeing as to what other photographers have used and what worked for them.
Use it in manual, TTL isn't the best when it's off camera, you want absolute control, that's why it's off camera in the first place.

Yes it's TTL.

I have used it both on manual and auto *hides in shame*.

Even in both setting, I have issues. Maybe I'm just dumb and can't figure why it's doing that. I'm trying to achieve a "natural light" with the flash. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's too dark and I don't get it. I know the SB600 is a good flash, but maybe my setting skills just suck.

Again, keep it ni manual and be careful with your light placement. Hard light is hard light, you might need to use modifiers to soften it and increase the surface area of your light source. Also, the inverse square law tells us that when you double the distance between your light and the subject, you get 1/4 of the light, and vise-versa, this is really important for falloff.

Most reactions

Back