Industrial Post-Apocalyptic Photo session

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My local photography group was invited by the Steampunk Society for a photo session. The group did a great job posing. There were about a dozen photographers and some had light stands. I had to shoot inbetween people most of the time. Everyone was gracious to back out of the way for others to get a shot. My usual edit is light and airy, but I wanted a more gritty urban feel to the photos. C&C welcome.

Post-Apocalypse by Cheryl, on Flickr

These are so cool! Love the gritty feel to them. Must have been a lot of fun! #2 is my favorite of these. I like the way the vignette works in that one.

How fun this must have been!

I agree that having to dart around in between other photographers would make it challenging, but you pulled it off.

These folks clearly know what they're doing, striking all these great poses. Great job with the editing - pulls the set together. Nice work!

These are so cool! Love the gritty feel to them. Must have been a lot of fun! #2 is my favorite of these. I like the way the vignette works in that one.
Thank you! I painted in the vignette on #2 mostly at the top and sides. Usually I would then lower the opacity of the layer, but decided this time to keep it dark.

Good shots of some very interesting people......
Thank you! There were 7 actors total.

Good call on the “gritty” edit. Scary bunch o’ folks.
Yes they were scary! The Steampunk Society hosted the event. Some of their members couldn't attend because they were working the Renaissance Fair. They laughed a lot between the serious poses and I think they love what they do.

How fun this must have been!

I agree that having to dart around in between other photographers would make it challenging, but you pulled it off.

These folks clearly know what they're doing, striking all these great poses. Great job with the editing - pulls the set together. Nice work!
Thank you! It was a little chaotic at first, but the actors took over and helped with the posing. The light stands in the way was challenging. I shot on my 90mm which is about 130mm. I did bring a shorter lens, but I got the hang of it shooting from behind people. I think I bumped into 4 people and one more than once. He was a big tall guy and I apologized profusely the 3rd time :) Told him I wasn't trying to knock him over!

very nice set. yes, gritty and urban was definitely a better choice for these over light and airy.
#3 is my favorite of the set. they really got into the posing.
my only real nitpick here (and I'm equally guilty because I don't batch edit) would be the difference in white balance/temp across the set. they seem to alternate between warmer and cooler.
individually they look good and I only noticed because they are all visible on one page.

My pathetic comments ... I think of the Matrix where the sky was burned.
B&W or very ugly muted colour balance cause the sun is no longer what it is.
No living things.

Take the green stuff and drop its saturation ... make it more like the world has been "burned" ... like playing Fallout ... or a Terminator movie.

Last edited:
Very cool set! Look like a lot of fun was had by all.
It was a fun shoot. Interesting to see how other photographers there that day shot and edits. Real mix!

very nice set. yes, gritty and urban was definitely a better choice for these over light and airy.
#3 is my favorite of the set. they really got into the posing.
my only real nitpick here (and I'm equally guilty because I don't batch edit) would be the difference in white balance/temp across the set. they seem to alternate between warmer and cooler.
individually they look good and I only noticed because they are all visible on one page.
I did edit them all mostly the same. I added a Selective color and upped the cyan in the neutrals. Maybe that is why the big difference?

My pathetic comments ... I think of the Matrix where the sky was burned.
B&W or very ugly muted colour balance cause the sun is no longer what it is.
No living things.

Take the green stuff and drop its saturation ... make it more like the world has been "burned" ... like playing Fallout ... or a Terminator movie.
One of the photographers went with a few black/white which looked great. Funny that you mentioned Terminator movie. I was thinking about the color grading used in that movie when I started experimenting with my edits. A few experiments later got me to the final edit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back