inexpensive lighting - strobes

I bought my kit off Ebay - it's a kit that goes on Adorama for $1200 and I paid $400- never used! It's continuous lighting (strobes are SO much nicer IMO). But, with all the equiptment I have - I rarely use it. It's to HOT. My models melt. I use my shoe mount flash with a cord that connects the flash to the camera and a one of the stands that came with my kit. Or, buy a pocket wizzard and dont bother with the cord. Easy and it works great. I would suggest using more than one shoe mount flash though

I bought my kit off Ebay - it's a kit that goes on Adorama for $1200 and I paid $400- never used! It's continuous lighting (strobes are SO much nicer IMO). But, with all the equiptment I have - I rarely use it. It's to HOT. My models melt. I use my shoe mount flash with a cord that connects the flash to the camera and a one of the stands that came with my kit. Or, buy a pocket wizzard and dont bother with the cord. Easy and it works great. I would suggest using more than one shoe mount flash though

I think I might spring for another Vivitar 285HV, shoot through umbrella, and another stand then get a couple pocket wizards. Thanks for the help, everyone

There are some inexpensive worthwhile monolights that can get anyone started with studio photography without tearing your pockets. I've recently reviewd such monolight (Bought from B&H, brand name is Impact) and was very satisfied with the results. You can read my review here. A single monolight kit (including a stand and a softbox) costs around $140-$150 and a two monolight kit can be as cheap as $200. In terms of value for money, the Impact is the best inexpensive offer I've found.

Most reactions

Back