Influence of war photography

(it supposedly desensitizes soldiers to death)

I'm curious as to where you heard this.

I still disbelive that killing in a computer game desensitizes one to killing in real life.

Truth.

Overread: I agree with you that it's the fact that the images we see are of places so far away and don't relate to most people. The only people that are really affected by the images are the ones that can relate to it. People that have seen it in person, people that are friends with someone or related to a person that saw it. I can sit here and watch a news story about a little girl being raped and think, "Wow that's really terrible" and go on with my day and forget about it in a few minutes. It doesn't make me a bad person, it's just that it doesn't have an effect on me. I don't know her, her family, her friends, it's not a situation I have ever been in or know anybody that has been in it and I have no child to relate to it in that sense.

So basically, in my opinion, the genuine feelings you expect a person to feel when they see terrible violence on television, aren't there unless they have some kind of relation to the event. Be it an acquaintance, personal experience, or something else...there is almost always some kind of connection.

Google your querry and watch documentary on the topic, read books , there are some great moviese you will have your info

The definitive book on the topic:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Under-Fire-World-Photographer/dp/1579652158/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269079938&sr=8-1"]Shooting under fire[/ame]

As mentioned by other I'd recommend reading "Blood and Champagne" it's a book about the life of Robert Capa.

I also agree with the statement that videos does Not desensitize us, additionally I've heard of reports that the soldiers who control the UAVs (unmanned aircraft) show signs of PTSD and other stress related mental problems... just food for thought.

Most reactions

Back