Informations before buying a new D7000

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Bedo, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Infinite_Day

Infinite_Day TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You're going to want another, larger SDHC or SDXC card. THe D7000 has two slots and I keep one 8gb and one 16gb in it and I wish I could steal the other 16gb that's in my wife's point and shoot for video. You won't get a ton of RAW photos on a 4gb card. Both lenses should have a hood with them. Giottos makes a good basic cleaning kit with an air blaster. You may want to look into a second battery as well.

2. Patriot

Patriot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a 32gb card and a 8gb...as soon as the store get more 32gb in stock im getting it. Those two will hold me over for a very long time.

3. Bedo

Bedo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've started using my new D7000 and I like it a lot!

However it is really, really heavy!! :)

4. Onbird

Onbird TPF Noob!

Really, it's not heavy at all. Perhaps you are used to a P&S.. I believe the internal frame is made of magnesium for sturdy use in the field like the PRO cameras.

It really a great camera..

--John

Happy Shooting

5. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The D7000 has a magnesium top and back plate. The rest of the chassis is plastic.

FWIW, the D7000's magnesium plates (or a full magnesium chassis like Nikon's prosumer and pro grade cameras have) are mainly there to aid heat dissipation and to block outside RF interference.

6. Vautrin

Vautrin No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    So this is kind of a complicated question.

On the one hand, if you went out and bought the best lens + body you can, you will take longer to upgrade. So, if you get a D3200, maybe in a few months or a year you'll be buying a new body (and definitely some new lenses), but if you really go all out and go with the best options ahead of time, you'll have plenty of room to grow.

This being said, most people won't know what they really like to shoot right off the bat. Or they'll grow as a photographer. So if you were to go out, buy the best equipment you can afford, I can't guarantee you that you won't end up wanting different equipment.

In addition, the D3200 is very "n00b oriented" and there will be modes to make it really easy to shoot with, even if you have never held a camera before.

However, a high end camera won't have a "portrait mode" -- it'll expect you to figure out exactly what you want.

So, with that said, I tend to think if you go for a D3200 and get a nice lens (FX if you can afford it) you'll have a great halfway point. You'll have a lens you can grow with and use on bigger bodies, but at the same time won't be stuck before you actually know what you want to shoot

Hope that makes sense

7. Yantropov

Yantropov TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

It can get heavy with my 70-200 VRII attached to it... :)