Infrared Photography Questions

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I've been toying with IR for a few days and trying to figure out what settings work best for the best results and I'm wondering about cameras now.

I have access to a few different cameras but was wondering if someone could provide me some insight on what camera will have the best resolution and provide the better input of Infrared light. I have been using a Nikon d40 but its only 6 megapixels. I was wondering if the d60 or d70 would be a better use.

Also, I need to mention that I'm using a Hoya R72 IR filter and not a converted camera.

Thanks

The newer cameras are going to be more difficult to use for IR work as the manufacturers have increased the blocking abilities .

THe best method I have found when using a non converted camera is to set up the camera on a tripod, use manual focusing, using an fstop of about f8 and starting testing at 10 sec. Using the histogram to check exposure. You will need to focus first then ad the IR filter, as you won't be able to see what your shooting after adding the filter.

Also, be careful with the angle of the sun if you are not using a lens hood as it is very common to get serious glare bouncing off that filter from right angles. ALso close the viewfinder if it has that feature, especially if the sun is directly behind the camera.

Most reactions

Back