Infrared Photography

Yahoozy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so i currently have an Infrared filter in the mail that will arrive in a couple days
but i want to make sure i actually know what im doing when i get it
so what are the basics of infrared photography?
i know that you need an infrared filter, a camera that recognizes infrared light, and a tripod because it takes a long exposure due to the darkness of the filter
is there anything im missing for basic infrared photography?
thanks =P

sorry, also its digital, in case anyone was wondering

A few random things off the top of my head:

Processing is usually a big part of the final image, either monochrome or color.

Related to the above: especially if you want to do color IR, shoot RAW, or at least find a custom white balance that will give you good results. This will take some practice and getting used to.

You need to know just how much IR light your camera allows to reach the sensor but you'll find that out soon enough. The trend is the more modern the camera, the more IR it manages to block (because it can affect the quality of visible spectrum photos).

IR wavelength focuses at a different point than visible light, so you will need to adjust focus for optimal sharpness (it won't be a disaster if you don't though, just soft). Some lenses have a dot at the focus ring that indicates the necessary adjustment for IR.

sweet, thanks
ill try those and see how it goes =P

Basics:

Set your white balance as cold as it will go (use custom if possible).
Autofocus will work through the filter but aim the camera before you put the filter on because your eyes won't.
Use a tripod.
Your light meter will not work through the filter. Use manual and don't be surprised if you need >5 second exposures at wide apertures on a sunny day.
Some lenses will display a spot in the middle. This often goes away at higher apertures.

Editing is the key read Astrostu's post #7 here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105589

Don't be afraid to try different things:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116740

there we are thats great!
that helps a lot hahah
thanks =D

hahah already checked that thread out
and thanks for the site =P

Theres a filter infront of the sensor that blocks infrared light, if you remove this *or hire someone to* then the shutter speeds go back to normal, and you can use the light meter I believe. Still need to use the IR filter that blocks normal light. But then you probalby cant use the camera for normal pictures. :0)

You'll get a "hotspot" with some lenses. It's just a bright circle in the center of the frame. The more stopped down the lens is, the bigger the spot is.
You won't see it on all lenses, from what I've read it's due to some lenses being 'optimized' for visible and IR light, while others are only optimized for visible light.

Also, I've read (and my own experience seems to confirm) that aperture will not affect DOF the way you're used to. You'll have just as much DOF wide open as you will stopped down. Not sure why... But it seems to be the case, to some extent at least. ...So, shoot wide open - the hotspot (if you get one) will be smaller, and you'll have shorter exposure times.

It's been a while since I've played around with my IR filters (working nights, don't get to play in the daytime much anymore...), so if any of the above is incorrect (I don't think it is, but hey - I wouldn't call myself an expert) I'm sorry...

Hmm, wheres a good spot to get one of these filters, and for cheap, since this will just be for fun, no need for a $$$ filter. :0)

I did a search on b&h but the ones I seen there was pretty expensive.

Hmm, wheres a good spot to get one of these filters, and for cheap, since this will just be for fun, no need for a $$$ filter. :0)

check out ebay. i don't remember the name of the fellow who was selling IR filters but several of my students bought from him and had great results and the filters were very in-expensive.

Adorama has one for $40

You'll get a "hotspot" with some lenses. It's just a bright circle in the center of the frame. The more stopped down the lens is, the bigger the spot is.
You won't see it on all lenses, from what I've read it's due to some lenses being 'optimized' for visible and IR light, while others are only optimized for visible light.

Also, I've read (and my own experience seems to confirm) that aperture will not affect DOF the way you're used to. You'll have just as much DOF wide open as you will stopped down. Not sure why... But it seems to be the case, to some extent at least. ...So, shoot wide open - the hotspot (if you get one) will be smaller, and you'll have shorter exposure times.

It's been a while since I've played around with my IR filters (working nights, don't get to play in the daytime much anymore...), so if any of the above is incorrect (I don't think it is, but hey - I wouldn't call myself an expert) I'm sorry...

Hmmmm ... I wonder if this is why I'm failing. I bought a Lee 87 resin filter for my Cokin P holder and all I get is a round circle -- no images. I'll try another lens ...

Most reactions

Back