Infrared Photos with a Canon Digital Rebel?

Its not a good idea to use the kitlens (18-55) when you shoot digital IR. Cause you will get a hotspot in the middle of your pic.
I shoot with a Canon EOS 350D, Canon 50mm 1.8 mkII, Hoya R72 and a tripod. Best thing to do is shoot in RAW, so you can change the WB in PS CS2 or a RAW editor.
When you got the WB right, open it in PS and do this:
Open Image, Duplicate the background layer, convert the duplicate (CTRL-I), set the blend mode to color. After that just fiddle around with the levels, curves and brightness/contrast. It gives pretty good results
You can see some pics i made HERE
Hope this helps.

Photoshop only simulates IR. Giving it an IR 'look'.

I use a PS plugin called exposure which does a good job simulating IR, with options to offset the blue channel in different ways that modify the yellows in the image.
It doesn't ever look like a true IR image though.

Of course not because there's not normally IR in the image. The reason this works is because perfect filters don't exist. The Lowpass filters will let small amounts of IR through and the high pass filters let small amounts of visible light through. The final results depends on which filter can over power which and in the end you get bugger all light and need to use a tripod. This is where film really has the advantage since a tripod isn't needed.

For a quick cheap IR filter which doesn't involve faking IR, I mean what is that it's just black and white with mostly an overbright red channel..., use a strip of fully exposed developed negative over the front of the lens. It's not sharp but you get a feel for the look of IR.

Most reactions

Back