Infringing on Copyright Laws?

Aoide said:
And if it does get to a lawyer, you might just need him to write a letter and "scare them" as Big Mike says, so it might not be super expensive.

Also, are these two magazine's related. You mentioned a small one which you kind of blew off and then this one. If they are related then I would make sure to use the name of this employee in your letter. He was representing this magazine and is not following through on his promises.

Go get 'em Littleman!
I don't think they are related... but either way... Panorama got the picture from the smaller company. I didn't give it to anyone else.

A similar thing happened to me a year or so ago. A book asked me to send in 8 shots for a book they were to publish and they used one of my shots on the mock up of the front page advertising the book on their site. I was chuffed to bits.
I emailed a few months later to ask when the book was coming out and they apologised but they wouldn't be using my shots because they changed agents or somthing like that.

I replied saying that they had already used my shot on their site and that i should be paid for approx 1 year's worth of advertising.
They apologised again and sent me 5books worth around £16 each by way of apology. My shots never made the book but were used as an example of their forthcoming book.
They knew they had c*cked up and offered the books. I was happy to accept and the books duly arrived. Very good books and very useful!

I'm not sure if the lawyer first then the shop is a better idea than writing to the shop before the lawyer. My way worked for me so it may come down to how you'd prefer to tackle it.

Bottom line is....example or teaching or sales....if it's your shot you should be paid for it whether they make money from it or not.

LittleMan said:
That's all I wanted in the first place... and that's all I'll ask for when I do talk with them.

You should invoice them, by giving them the photo for free, or for "photo credit" (which dosnt do anything) you are taking buisness away from other photographers who make a living taking pictures.

Most reactions

Back