TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
I recently inherited two camera lenses:
- Sigma 100-300mm D 4.5-6.7 DL
- Sigma 28-88mm D 3.5-5.6 Macro

I've been into photography for quite a while, but never made the transition to a DSLR. I'm currently thinking of buying either the Nikon D90 ($900) or a Nikon D3100 ($650).

I tried to look for the information first, but had some trouble. My understanding is that the D90 will work with older lenses, but that the D3100 will not because it doesn't have an AF motor. My question is twofold (and my budget is around $900):
(1) Are the lenses above compatible with the D90?
(2) Which is the better choice?
---(a) The D90 body with the two lenses I have; or
---(b) The D3100 with kit lens, and using the two I inherited manually.

Or, maybe they're not compatible at all? Thanks for reading!
-Andrew

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
First you have tio verify the Sigma lenses have the Nikon F-mount, not the Canon EF-Mount, nor any of the other mount types for Pentax, Sony/Minolta, or Olympus.

Nikon has used the F-mount since 1959.

To auto focus on the D3100 the lenses must have an internal focus motor.

To meter on either the D90 or the D3100, the 2 Sigma lenses must have an onboard CPU.

You might find more info here: Sigma Lenses Overview | SigmaPhoto.com

you can find a used d90 for $650. If you opted to spend $900 on a new one, then you may as well get a used D7000 for just over a grand.

Heres a few options(many more) that could work if they are F mount lens.

Nikon Digital D7000 16.2 MEGAPIXEL WITH CABLES, CD, BATTERY & CHARGER (SD CARD ), DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com

or D2X

25215 Nikon D2X 12.84 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body

or D300

25432 Nikon D300 12.3 Megapixels Digital Slr Camera Body

or D80 for under $400 and spend the rest on some nice peice of glass!

25412 Nikon D80 10.2 Megapixels Digital SLR Camera

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that they are Nikon lenses. They were previously used for a higher end Nikon SLR. That being said, I'm not that knowledgable about the various mounts (although, presumably, if Nikon has been using the F mount since the 60s, they should be).
Here's a picture if someone could help identify the mounts and the compatibility with the d90
20110507164913617.jpg

I appreciate the other suggestions, but I think the d7000 might be out of my range and I'm looking for something a bit newer than the d80. I've found someone who will sell a brand new d90 for $800, and I can't really afford to go much higher than that. I'm really hesitant to spend that much money and shop used (even though there are obviously good people out there). Any recommendations for reliable, yet affordable, resellers?

I mean, I took a look at KEH and they've got two d90s here:
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029991055760?r=FE#
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN02999103499X?r=FE

They both say "LN-" condition, but how reliable is this? The prices would be great. I can't seem to find any information about what the specific camera looks like (actuations, etc.).

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that they are Nikon lenses. They were previously used for a higher end Nikon SLR. That being said, I'm not that knowledgable about the various mounts (although, presumably, if Nikon has been using the F mount since the 60s, they should be).
Here's a picture if someone could help identify the mounts and the compatibility with the d90
20110507164913617.jpg

I appreciate the other suggestions, but I think the d7000 might be out of my range and I'm looking for something a bit newer than the d80. I've found someone who will sell a brand new d90 for $800, and I can't really afford to go much higher than that. I'm really hesitant to spend that much money and shop used (even though there are obviously good people out there). Any recommendations for reliable, yet affordable, resellers?

I mean, I took a look at KEH and they've got two d90s here:
Nikon Digital D 90 12.3 MEGAPIXEL WITH BATTERY & CHARGER (SD CARD ) DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com
Nikon Digital D 90 12.3 MEGAPIXEL WITH CABLES, CD, BATTERY & CHARGER (SD CARD ) REFURBISHED, DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com

They both say "LN-" condition, but how reliable is this? The prices would be great. I can't seem to find any information about what the specific camera looks like (actuations, etc.).

You can call and ask. I've heard KEH and Adorama to be reliable. Nikon has some good prices right now on refurbished gear.
Nikon Store - D90 (Refurbished Body)

refurbished D90 for $720 doesn't seem bad when places are selling them for the same price used.

Thanks, I'll check that out. Can anyone confirm that the lenses above are lenses that would be compatible with a d90?

If you look you can find a used D300 for $800 and would be happier with that body I think.

I took a quick look around (KEH, craigslist, etc.) and couldn't find anything anywhere near that range unfortunately :(.

Hypothetically if I could get a used Nikon d90 (<4,000 actuations) with a 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens for $800, that'd be a steal right?

Also, if anyone is capable of telling me whether the above lenses would actually be compatible with a d90, that'd be a huge help.

Thanks!

Some googling would give the answer.
Sigma 100-300mm f4.5-6.7 for nikon AF D mounts
and the other is older but yes they will do fine on the D90.

Tho they are not as good or maybe a tad worst than the kit lenses that come with the nikon. Tho would think the nikon kit lenses a tad faster AF and give a better Image. These were bottom of the line consumer lenses when they came out. And both were well under the $200 mark new. The second one was $99 new.

Personally I would worry about losing or not working with a D90. And go with newer kit lenses that the nikon come with. As good performing glass is as important as the camera body.

And would prefer the D90 - 18-105 combo to start and sell those lenses on craigslist and snatch a 35mm or 50mm f1.8 prime to the kit.

Tho they are not as good or maybe a tad worst than the kit lenses that come with the nikon. Tho would think the nikon kit lenses a tad faster AF and give a better Image. These were bottom of the line consumer lenses when they came out. And both were well under the $200 mark new. The second one was $99 new.

Personally I would worry about losing or not working with a D90. And go with newer kit lenses that the nikon come with. As good performing glass is as important as the camera body.

And would prefer the D90 - 18-105 combo to start and sell those lenses on craigslist and snatch a 35mm or 50mm f1.8 prime to the kit.

Thanks a ton for the help orb. I had a feeling they were compatible based on what I'd found myself, but I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable would confirm (before I made the purchase). I think I probably will go with the D90 (and get the 18-105 VR lens), and hand onto the other two for now.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Thanks a ton for the help orb. I had a feeling they were compatible based on what I'd found myself, but I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable would confirm (before I made the purchase). I think I probably will go with the D90 (and get the 18-105 VR lens), and hand onto the other two for now.

Thank you everyone for your help!

both of those lenses are fully usable on the d90 and near useless on d3100 (full manual which is a BIATCH for a newbie) u want at least aperture or shutter priority when starting out. Also manual focus for both of these lenses suck its very loose and all in all just crap. i would MUCH rather get either a d90 with a 50 1.8 or a d5100 with 35 1.8 or hell i'd go for a d7000 if i had the money. You shouldnt worry too much about using those lenses they arent exactly top notch and u can find the same stuff on ebay for >$30 each. It is nice to have that stuff in the begining but as u get more serious u'll realize that they arent nearly as sharp and have more CA than even a kit lens.

My 2c get a d7000 you will not need to upgrade for a while to come. if not a d3100 with the kit lens is MORE than enough, but it would discourage you from using the current lenses u have.

If you look you can find a used D300 for $800 and would be happier with that body I think.

I took a quick look around (KEH, craigslist, etc.) and couldn't find anything anywhere near that range unfortunately :(.

Hypothetically if I could get a used Nikon d90 (<4,000 actuations) with a 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens for $800, that'd be a steal right?

Also, if anyone is capable of telling me whether the above lenses would actually be compatible with a d90, that'd be a huge help.

Thanks!

From checking the completed listing in E-bay. Try the snip it option and only bid what you are willing to pay. It may take a while but if you are patient you can usually get what you want for what you want.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Back