z6 and older lenses

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Timppa, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Timppa

Timppa No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi!

I am thinking about FF alot, but never making up my mind.
    Reasons are the high lens prices, specially the ones with VR. (and not many yet on 2nd hand market)
    I always have some shake to my hands, so VR is just great to have.
    But since the new z6 has build in stabilization, It got me thinking, What if I would buy older lenses now without VR 2nd hand?

What 24-70 2.8 lens would you recommend? I am looking under the €900 for this.
    What macro lens? the Tamron VR that I always wanted is 650€... But I can pick up a older version for €250...
    What UWA lens for northernlights?
    or What lens would you recommend for taking portret pictures/babies ?

I also have the Nikon 200-500 lens, that I love, but is there another, perhaps lighter non VR option out there? Thinking an older 300mm 2.8 with extender (but those are heavy right?)

Thank you in advance! :)

2. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    As long as they have the focusing motor built into the lens, you should be good to go. Unlike the D7XXX and all the FX dSLR bodies, the Z body adapter has no focusing motor so AF-D and AF lenses won't autofocus. The 3rd party options for 24-70 with VR is the Tamron/Sigma offerings. As for non VR, Tokina makes a nice one. As for Macro, depends on how you intend to use it whether VR is necessary. If you shoot everything from a tripod or with flash then VR isn't necessary. If you like to handhold closeups in available light then VR is helpful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Timppa

Timppa No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for your input,
    I really do need some VR, I prefer to do everything hand hold:

I just read some things that the Z6 is not compatible with some 3th party lenses, so still waiting to buy stuff :)

4. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    It sounds like the adapter ought to be available with a focusing motor then.
    Perhaps in time 3rd party ones will.

5. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I would almost bet the farm on it

6. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The motor is for the aperture lever.
    Though they could put a 2nd motor for the mechanical AF, the pix of the adapter does not show the screwdriver for mechanical AF. Nikon F to Z adapter.jpg

7. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One thing to keep in mind is dual IS.
    Olympus and Panasonic have dual IS where both the In Body IS (IBIS) and In Lens IS (OIS) work together to give you a greater range of stabilization than either one alone.
    Dual IS may or may not come in the future with a new model Z camera, or a firmware update to the Z6/Z7. So I would not write off lens IS as not needed, just because you have IBIS.
    I recall reading someplace, that lens IS is better than IBIS, for the longer focal length lenses.

With ANY 3rd party lens, there is always the possibility that it will not work with a new model of the camera.
    Heck, it was/is even true of Nikon lenses:
    • The pre-AI lenses won't meter couple to AI cameras, unless the pre-AI lenses are converted/modified. In fact you could damage the AI mechanism, by installing a pre-AI lens.
    • The AF/AF-D lenses won't AF on the D3xxx and D5xxx series cameras, because they do not have a mechanical AF motor in the body.
    • The AF/AF-D lenses will not AF on the FTZ adapter, as it does not have the mechanical AF screwdriver.
    • And in reverse, the new Nikon AF-P lenses will NOT work with older dSLR cameras, and may have reduced/limited functionality with slightly older cameras. Example, I cannot turn the lens IS off, from my D7200, so I cannot use that camera+lens combo on a tripod.

8. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Anyone else smell burning bridges? Still think this fumbling of the backward compatibility issue will haunt Nikon and compromise brand loyalty. Walked out on a long-winded Nikon show-and-tell session in Toronto last week that was longer on "tell" than "show." The small-ish audience didn't dig the numbing Powerpoint show that covered what everyone already knew. Friends who stuck around reported very little time with the remarkably small Z bodies and commented on the Nikon reps' evasiveness when questioned about the now-expanded range of "legacy" Nikkors. It wasn't so much hostility towards Nikon in the audience as it was bafflement over the decision to strand older glass.