Replacement lens for Nikon D90

shutterbug64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I have a Nikon D90 and D5300 and like to shoot mainly wildlife and landscapes (western National Parks).

I have the following Nikon lenses:

*AF-S FX 300mm f/4D IF-ED

*AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G

*AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (included with camera kit)

*AF-S 55-200mm f/1.4-5.6G ED VR (included with camera kit)

I'm considering replacing the two kit lenses that came with my D90 (18-105 and 550-200) with one lens. I would like to keep my cost under $1000.

Can anyone offer advice ?

Thanks and best regards.

You didn't say what range you want to replace these 2 lenses but I will assume you want a general use lens.
So if you want a kit lens the new Nikon 18-140mm VR is a good modern lens with good image quality but its slow
Another option is a 17-50mm 2.8 which has a limited range but is fast thus more usable in all lighting conditions.
You can get a used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 which is professional grade full frame lens.
You can get a used Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS
You can get a Nikon 85mm 1.8G so with 35mm and 85mm you will cover some of your needs nicely.

I would not recommend a super zoom like Nikon 18-200mm or the 18-300mm, these lenses give you a lot of flexibility but they are soft.

If you want more range for wild life I think you might be able to get a use Sigma 150-500mm for less then 1000$

You didn't say what range you want to replace these 2 lenses but I will assume you want a general use lens.
So if you want a kit lens the new Nikon 18-140mm VR is a good modern lens with good image quality but its slow
Another option is a 17-50mm 2.8 which has a limited range but is fast thus more usable in all lighting conditions.
You can get a used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 which is professional grade full frame lens.
You can get a used Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS
You can get a Nikon 85mm 1.8G so with 35mm and 85mm you will cover some of your needs nicely.

I would not recommend a super zoom like Nikon 18-200mm or the 18-300mm, these lenses give you a lot of flexibility but they are soft.

If you want more range for wild life I think you might be able to get a use Sigma 150-500mm for less then 1000$
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks very much for the great advice. I use my 300mm fixed for wildlife but since you mentioned the Sigma 150-500, I am curious to learn more about that lens.
I'm glad you mentioned low light because I go to Yellowstone each year, usually when the weather is a little gray. I should keep that in mind. Appreciate your response - thanks.

I'd keep them, those kit lenses are worth more than they sell second hand for.

I'd probably consider the 17-50 sigma in your case, almost everything is covered unless you need more reach. A fast standard is nice, and that sigma is very good.

Yes - I think I will keep the lenses and spend more time testing them. I don't think I've worked with any of my lenses enough to gain an appreciation for how well they perform. More effort on my part needed. Thanks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes - I think I will keep the lenses and spend more time testing them. I don't think I've worked with any of my lenses enough to gain an appreciation for how well they perform. More effort on my part needed. Thanks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'd bet if you spent the money originally planned for lenses on travel and nice things to do and see you'd likely get way more nice photos than just updating your lenses

I have a Nikon 400-800 I picked up for wildlife outings that's really nice. I don't remember the price but it's a good lens.

Most reactions

Back