Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Had the opportunity to help shoot a local Accapella performance last weekend (volunteering), it was a blast! The group I was specifically shooting for didn't have much in the way of a specific direction (besides a couple informal candid photos), so I was back stage while a friend was shooting out front. At this point my 70-200 was still in LA being cleaned/repaired by Canon, so I didn't have too many options between the T3i, a 50mm 1.8, and a 55-250 provided the venue's constraints (no flash in the auditorium/very close quarters/etc). Eventually I decided the best way to serve the group would be to get them some decent portraits, considering my partner was capturing all the on stage action. I borrowed his speedlight, set up a little two-flash setup in the wings of the stage, and started shooting away.

Working with what I had, here were a couple of the results. Very little was done in post, I didn't bother to edit out stray hairs, etc. Now that I had my 70-200 back, I can't wait to get my 6D next week and really nail some of the shoots I have lined up across the next month when I'll have a tad more flexibility. Still, it was a fun time, and the group enjoyed the photos (tried to have everyone get at least one portrait, though some came out much better than others).

Miranda by TogaLive, on Flickr

Rachel by TogaLive, on Flickr

My little setup was to have one flash camera left, and then another sitting atop a stage-light to the right to be used as a detail light on the hair. Both of these were taken with the 50mm f/1.8. If there was one thing I wish I had done it would have been to add more definition to their dresses. We were in an extremely dark area back stage, and they were all wearing black. Lesson learned.

What do you all think? Any CC at all is appreciated, macro is my comfort zone, portraits are not.

Best,

Toga

Last edited:
Good stuff. It's nice to see some photos of this nature once in a while where the girls' faces aren't photoshopped 6 ways from Sunday.

I'd have cloned out the chair, or whatever that is vaguely visible in the background.

I'm wondering if the second shot might look better with a portrait crop? I guess you'd have to cut out part of her lovely hair to do that, so maybe not.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it! I didn't even notice the chair. Rest assured, there will be cloning ;)

I considered a portrait, but for whatever reason didn't feel it was working. I hope to shoot with her again sometime and give it a go though.

Most reactions

Back